18 November 2013

My Gym Runneth Over

The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want . . . my cup overflows, surely goodness and mercy will follow me and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Psalm 23: 1, 5&6

PT-E. shows B. the ropes of SCI Rehab
Since my arrival in 2011, we've had several visiting Occupational & Physical Therapy practitioners and students.  It's always wonderful to have helping hands and moral support!  And this past week I had a small taste of a dream-come-true.

For three days, our gym was packed . . . it's often busy, but not like this!  For starters, our visiting orthopedic surgeon has come for a month, so our little department is even busier than usual . . . which means long hours and lots of therapeutic exercise. 

But there is a saying: many hands make light work . . . and last week we had many, MANY hands!
OT-J. helps one of our little people reuse his burned hand

I had left a patient running through some exercises on a treatment table in the gym as I leftt to grab something in my office.  Scurrying back, less than a minute later, I froze in the doorway.  

Three and a half therapists were hard at work!

PT-E. was busy teaching my assistant, B., how to evaluate a patient with a spinal cord injury . . . PT-S. was working with a young woman who suffers from chronic low back pain (in ARABIC, by the way!!) . . . and OT-J. was doing hand therapy with a little scalawag who recently had the burn contractures of his minuscule fingers released.

I stood there overwhelmed!

We had a gym FULL of therapists!

PT-S. works with a stroke patient
While I knew I had these three only for a few days, it was an amazing realization that all of the hours of dreaming and planning, toiling and scheming had finally produced abundant results!  For three days B. and I were no longer a department of One-and-a-Half!  We had a gymful! 

In February of 2011, we started with an empty oversized-closet . . . I still can't believe how far we've come in nearly three years!  

At times it was hard not to step on one another . . . human bumper-cars, really.  But it didn't matter.  Because there were five of us facilitating a return of function and quality of life . . . at the same time!  Five of us buzzing about patients desperate for hope, believing that healing is possible!  Five of us who know there is nothing we'd rather be doing!

3 comments:

Bethany said...

yay for you!! I smile (and rejoice!) as I read, my friend! =)

Robin said...

Wow, 'you've come a long way, baby!' How wonderful, How marvelous.....oxoxoxo

Rachel Wetherall said...

Amazing stuff. How I wish I could be there to join in the fun!