03 October 2012

Grasp: Five Minute Friday

It's been a while . . . okay, maybe even a little longer . . . since I've posted a Five Minute Friday.  And I know you're thinking to yourself 'Uh, Deb. it's Wednesday . . . of the following week!  And sorry, but 'jetlag' is no longer a viable excuse!'

And you're right!  There's no excuse . . . but it's never too late to start over again.  I had run across Lisa-Jo's blog again last Friday and when I saw the theme I knew I couldn't pass it up.

So here's how this works: set the timer for five minutes . . .  write, write, write . . . no editing . . . no over-thininking . . . just write.

Grasp


For laymen, 'grasp' is synonymous with 'grip' . . . they are the same: to grab.  But for an Occupational Therapist, the two are miles apart.

Grip is related to strength.  Grasp to dexterity.

For the hand, each has its own important role.

As is the same with life.  And the lifestyle in which I find myself continues to show me that both are required.

We put a lot of emphasis on strength.  Being strong enough to face the waves of life.  And yet have the flexibility to mold and change and adapt to what comes.

As I go around the US and share my work in Niger, I am often brought face to face with the reality that when it comes to 'God's will for my life' I have some major control issues.  I like to grip tightly and not grasp.

I need to be willing to hold on to the life God has given me . . . to pick it up, move it around, play with it a bit, and eventually take ownership of it . . . even if it's not what I would have chosen.

But then, I need to loosen my grip on what 'would have' or 'could have' been.

Living with no regrets comes when I grasp lightly to the context, but grip tightly to Jesus.

1 comment:

lindy abbott said...

I really love this! It is powerful because it is from an insight that most people don't already know.