30 May 2012

Portraits: Market Day

Every Wednesday folks come from far out in the bush to go shopping, as it's our MarketDay here in Galmi.  Normally, when I go, I don't bother bringing my camera, as most people get angry if I take their photo, or they demand that I pay them for it.

But a few weeks ago, I received an email requesting that I snap a few photos of the World (okay, OUR world) Famous Onions.  The request was to show how onions are grown, harvested, shipped and sold.  Which meant, I'd have to take some photos at the market.

After asking a few old men about capturing a portrait of their purple harvest, I was surprised at how compliant they were.  So, I got up the nerve to starting asking vendors if I could snap a shot (or seven) of them . . . promising to return some day with a copy of the print.  Much to my surprise, only one old man refused!

















6 comments:

Kerichojoy said...

These are some great photos!

Bobnrobn said...

Nice smiley faces!!  xoxoxo

SM said...

Love these! And I promise never to ask for payment if you ever want to take my picture! :)

Sarah Roeber said...

beautiful people!

Angela Rosseau said...

These  are wonderful! You have such a gift for capturing a person through film.

Clifford Peters said...

Wow! Wonderful photos! Glad you asked them.