14 October 2011

Catch

It's been a few weeks since I've done a Five-Minute-Friday post.  Mostly because Friday rolls around I forget about it.  But when I saw today's topic I got really giggly inside, because I knew exactly what I wanted to say.

So here goes, five minutes, no editing.  Go, write, stop.

Catch.

I don't call 'crutch training' anymore.  It's now officially 'catch practice'.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how illiteracy and a lack of primary education can effect every aspect of a person . . . including coordination.

When I look back at my first six years of schooling, there were so many basic life-skills that were introduced and developed in those primary years.  Learning to read and write develops coordination, fine motor skills, visual tracking, attention, error recognition, and the ability to self-correct.  Learning to add and subtract develops logic and reasoning.  Art, music, and PE classes develop creativity, cause and effect, and gross and fine motor skills.

And how many skills did I develop when my mom sent me outside to play when my homework was done.  Simple things like learning to hop, skip, and jump.  Balancing on one foot.  Developing my imagination by playing 'make-believe'.

I could keep going.

But most of my patients are never given the opportunity to experience these simple initiations of basic skill development.  Which results in grown adults who have never been exposed to the complex-coordination necessary for using crutches.

Doesn't mean they don't learn . . . and most very quickly.

Simply that the first attempt for the patient is an opportunity for me to improve my stats as a catcher . . . one of the creeds therapists live by: Don't Let the Patient Hit the Floor.

11 comments:

Stevey said...

I'm sort of out of words today, so my Five-Minute-Friday encouragement for you is to pray blessing for you... Thank you for a great post, and have a really amazing day :)

Findingtheinspiring said...

Fascinating to think about what we are learning even in seemingly "insignificant" activities. I like your creed: Don't let the patient hit the floor. Had to chuckle. :)

soulstops said...

Hi Deborah,
Found you via 5MFridays.

You are now the 2nd person I know living in Niger...the other is a missionary from our church. 

I found your post very interesting as I was on crutches last year.  Now I can thank God that I was able to use them because who knew one needed so many basic skills (that I took for granted) to be able to use crutches.

Thanks for sharing and enlightening me!

T said...

just an interesting read.
I mean it.
loved reading it and the correlation between the hopping and skipping 
T

Deb. said...

Thanks so much! And thanks for stopping by.

Deb. said...

Glad I was able to make you 'chuckle' . . . mission accomplished. :)

Deb. said...

Thanks for stopping by!

Deb. said...

Thanks T!

AllMyMonkeys said...

She said what I came to say. So... uh.. yeah that. :D 

It's fascinating to think how one thing affects another. Thanks for sharing.

grittymartha said...

i'm a nurse in a rehab hospital.  we have to assess many of the skills you mentioned in your article...and yet!  it never dawned on me the many ways an illiterate society would be so different from ours!  wow!  thanks for the insight...and for ways to pray for our many missionary friends.  we so underestimate the need you all have for wisdom as you adjust to new cultures both for yourselves and in order to help those you have gone to serve.

Deb. said...

Thanks for the encouragement Martha! Working here has opened my eyes to the essential importance of primary education! Illiteracy and the lack of facilitation of the development of learning affects all areas of life.