01 September 2011

Never Mind

So a great big THANK YOU for all the great suggestions for what to name my new little hedgehog.  I was just narrowing it down to my top three when she was delivered last night.  We spent some time bonding and I tried out the different names on her.  She's cute.

I returned her to her box and went to bed.


Just before I left for work, two of the compound kiddos called wanting to drop off some fresh grasshoppers for my girl's breakfast.  At first I asked if they could come back after school.  They had a long list of reasons why that wouldn't work.  So, hesitantly I agreed.

They rushed to her box ready to pull off the lid of her prêt-à-porter meal.  'Where is she?' they asked.  'She's sleeping in the box.' I told them.  'Which one?' 'The tissue box.'  'Which one is that?'  'The blue one.'

They snatched the little blue box inside the big cardboard carton and ripped out the dried grass stuffing.  'Are you sure?' they asked.  'Oh, maybe she's in the other one.  I don't know.'  They raced to the little green box facing the blue one.

'Uh . . . she's not . . . um . . . here.'

'What??'

I looked at the box . . . sure enough, she had clawed through the side during the night.

The three of us began searching under all the furniture in my living room.  Nope.  We moved the bookshelves.  Nothing.  We checked under and behind the fridge and the stove.  They checked the hallway to the front door while I moved to my bedroom.

Hey, what's that? I thought to myself . . . two tiny black pellets lay on the floor of my bedroom.  Yup, she had been there, but was now long gone.  I checked under the bed, behind the desk, even in the wardrobe.  Not a trace.

Back in the kitchen I found more of girlfriend's droppings . . . I like to think she was just leaving a trail to find her way back home.

Needing to get to work, I shrugged it off and sent the kiddos to school.  I figured she'd make an appearance by the time I got home from work.  But so far, nothing.

Take-home lesson in all of this: I'm going to think twice before ever having children!

8 comments:

Mamastouff said...

Generally speaking Deb, when children are small they can't go anywhere, and when they can move about they are big enough to find them when they are  "hiding". Just from expeprience!!

Bethany Reamer said...

i hope she is not lost!!

Deb. said...

When I woke up this morning I found the little presents she had left me all over my house . . . she's still pooping so she's here, somewhere! :)

Deb. said...

So I found her last night . . . but for the past 24 hours, since I've had her back in her box, she's been terrified and unable to relax.  She's been trying to hide and going hysterical when she can't.  So I decided it was best to let her go, back into the wild.  It made me sad, but I think it was the right thing to do.  The poor little thing!

Megan S. said...

Deb. Please don't release future children into the wild when they are hysterical and want out of the box. 

Megan S. said...

You and Mr. Sedaris should collaborate on a book. Your life is one big riot!

Deb. said...

HA HA HA!!! Okay, I'll take that advice into consideration! :)

Kari said...

Wow.  Quite the unexpected drama, eh?