21 September 2011

Lessons on Abba

There are three amazing kiddos (H., Y., and N.) that I have the privilege of working with.  All three came several weeks ago for surgical releases of flexion contractures of one of their knees as a result of severe burns.  All three played, I mean, worked, very hard to be mobile with crutches or a walker . . . but since surgery, each has battled a bout of malaria, extreme pain, major set-backs in mobility, and  discouragement.

Dressing changes with these three have been difficult.  It is a painful process, even with strong medication.  Today, the father of the littlest one, N., came with her.  As he was holding her down while she received her shot of meds, she began screaming.

AAAAAABB-BBBBA!!!  AAAAAABB-BBBBA!!!  (DADDY!!!  DADDY!!!!)

There are many words for 'father' in Hausa . . . one being Abba.

As I stood there waiting for her to drift off to sleep, I began to think about little N. shrieking in pain and fear for her daddy.  And how he did nothing to stop the situation.  In fact, he said nothing to her as he held her down while we inflicted more pain.

He held her there, because he knew that what we doing was good for her.  Yes it hurt.  And I could see in his eyes that he was acutely aware of her pain.  But what caused her pain would help make her well again.  Yes she was afraid.  But he was there, with her, even if he did not intervene.

Standing there washing her wounds, cutting away infected tissue, and putting on new bandages, I began to identify with my little six year old friend, N., screaming out to my Abba in fear and pain and wondering why He seemingly does nothing to stop the situation.  Why He seemingly does not answer.  Why He seemingly does not intervene.  Why He allows certain things to continue. 

There comes a point in the Disciple-life where the children of Abba must learn to trust in the midst of the fear and pain.  That even if our screams are met with silence, we are not alone . . . we have not been abandoned.  This, now, is for our good.  

12 comments:

Ashley scott said...

What a beautiful entry, Deb, really thought-provoking. Love Ashley (EVP)

Bobnrobn said...

That was very encouraging.  Thanks.  xoxoxo

Bethany Reamer said...

amen.  thanks, deb.  brennan manning would also love this post =)

Karen said...

Wow! Well said...thanks and amen.

Anderson Deanna said...

Very powerful how the Lord used this little one to speak so profoundly.

Deb. said...

Thanks.

Deb. said...

Can't wait for you to get here!

Deb. said...

Yeah, I think he would. :)

Deb. said...

Thank you, Karen.

Deb. said...

Yeah, He most certainly did.

Sarah Fountain said...

Having held my screaming daughter as she received her vaccinations, one certainly gets a perspective on God by being a parent.  (I'm not saying that non-parents can't.  Parenting is just a crash-course.)  I sum it up this way - God wants the same thing for me that I want for my children:  He wants me to grow up.  I need to learn to be patient, share, don't scream when I can't get my way, clean up after myself, don't think only about myself and my own wants, see the larger consequences and not just what's going on now; the list goes on.  I am sorry that you have to deal with suffering so much in your line of work.  I'm just glad that you get to cooperate with God in healing people who are suffering!

Deb. said...

What a great perspective!