14 September 2011

It's a Good Thing I'm Not Shy

Lately I feel like I can't do anything without an audience.  No matter where I am, there's always somebody watching.  And not just watching, staring.

Treatment today was no exception.  I am currently working with 27 inpatients.  CRAZY!!!  I know.  So I try and treat all my kiddos at the same time.  We do activities that target their general needs, and then make it as individualized as possible (for example, four of the six need to work on lower extremity strengthening, balance, and endurance, one needs to stretch the burns on her face . . . so we play a modified version of SimonSays that includes lots of up and down sitting to standing all while making prolonged funny faces).


Our usual gross-motor/mobility training hot-spot (AKA the hallway between my office and the OR) was overcrowded with mattresses on the floor which act as temporary housing for over a dozen overflow babies plugged to IV's, too sick with malaria even to move.  So we had to get creative.  Outside it was!

Out-front was closer to my office, but I figured our audience would be big, so I opted for the back.

I'm not sure exactly what it is that draws the crowd, but I think that may have been my largest group of onlookers to date.

All we did was a little hopscotch and walking . . . but the place was packed!  Family members from the inpatient wards came out to see what was happening.  Those waiting to see a doctor from the outpatient department.  Mommas from the PDI baby clinic.  There was lab staff and nurses, and I even saw a few faces in the windows of the surgical ward.

For the life of me I can't figure out what is so interesting that tout le monde stops to stare.  But I have found myself saying on more than one occasion, 'it's a good thing I'm not shy!!'

4 comments:

Mamastouff said...

Watching the "master" at work!!

Bobnrobn said...

It's a good thing you are not shy ANYMORE!  You have been known by some of us to cover your eyes and scream (in the middle of the supermarket) "HE'S LOOKING AT ME!!!!" (He being at the back end of the aisle while you were in a cart at the front end of the aisle, but of course you wouldn't remember - you were only 3)

Deb. said...

MOM!!!!!!! IF YOU WANT TO TELL EMBARRASSING ABOUT ME, GET YOUR OWN BLOG!!! (Just kidding!! Love you!)

Kari said...

So Deb, it has become flamingly obvious to me that you are there not only to help people physically, but to provide entertainment for the whole hospital. :)  Isn't there a verse about laughter being good medicine for the soul? :)