05 August 2011

Whole

Another Five-Minute-Friday.

Whole

I had a patient today who brought his own crutches with him to the hospital.  They're metal.  But they were slightly too short for him, so I adjusted them.

Being as they are metal, they are designed slightly differently from the wooden ones we make here.  And being that I'm the only OT in the world who is a motor-moron (hey, those who can do, those who can't teach, right?!?!) I had a few fumbles with the nuts and bolts.

The first one wasn't too messy . . . but the second one . . . well, that's another story.

I started with the screws at the legs . . . but as I was changing the height on the adjustable leg, the hand-bar in the middle fell out.  As I started to bend to pick it up, the first screw fell to the ground.  Remembering the laws of gravity I quickly turned the crutch so that the second screw would stay in place.  Which of course meant that the adjustable leg would succumb to the laws of physics and drop.

So much for having a whole crutch.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

haha!  That's funny because that sounds like the story of my life!  I try to help someone and I end up making it harder to fix in the long run!!  Thanks for sharing that story!  (Found you from Five-Minute-Friday!)

Barb said...

Love your blogs, Deb!  But --- as a TEACHER, DON'T EVEN JOKE about "Those who can - do, those who can't teach!"  Unfortunately, it is a widely held conception!  Miss you!  BARB  

Jamie @ Six Bricks High said...

Ha!  Funny story!  But maybe you weren't laughing at the time?      

Deb. said...

Oh no!!  I laughed!!  Out loud.  As did the dozen or so Nigeriens who happened to be in the vicinity at the time.  I'm convinced there's a small pack of frequent-flyers who stick around just to see how I'm going to screw up next! :)  (Thanks for stopping by!)

Deb. said...

SORRY AUNTIEBARB!!!  It won't happen again! :)

We miss you guys too!  Hurry back!

Deb. said...

Thanks Michelle!  I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)