02 July 2011

Welcome

thegypsymama.com
The top half of my body is currently one big red blotchy mess of itchiness.   I'm told it's 'just a heat-rash', but I think 'Maladie de Baturiya' (White Woman's Disease) is more fun to tell my Nigerien co-workers.  We have officially transitioned from It's-So-Hot-I-Can't-Move-or-Think season to It's-So-Hot-&-Humid-I-Can-Drink-the-Air season.  I guess my skin isn't happy with the change and has decided to throw a temper tantrum.  Thankfully, my face has decided not to get involved in the public demonstration!!  So I've decided to lock myself in for most of the day and run the AC.  So far it's working . . . I'm only half strawberry.

Today's lock-in has afforded me the time to catch up on my blog-reading.  I do quite enough of my own blog-writing, but there are many blogs that I love to read but normally don't have the time.  One of which is The Gypsy Momma (I think I love her most because she is SouthAfrican).  Every week she writes Five Minute Friday, in which she takes 5 minutes to write non-stop about a topic.  Normally I read her post and write my own in my head.  Today I thought I'd join her . . . even though technically it's Saturday.


Welcome.
When speaking about Eternity, Jesus once said (Matt. 25):
I was a stranger and you welcomed me in.

I have lived on three continents, and visited all six of the inhabited ones . . . and during those voyages, I have been the blessed recipient of much 'welcome'.

To me, 'welcome' is hospitality.  It's being treated like an insider . . . like family.  To be shown warm community.  To be made to feel like you belong, even if you've just arrived.

Jesus included 'welcome' to be of the same value to the Father as feeding the hungry and clothing the naked.  Showing hospitality without reserve.  Inviting a stranger to come, eat, and put his feet on the coffee table.  To share the invisible embrace of 'home' in the most unlikely of places.  It is near to His heart and showing it generously is considered evidence of discipleship.

17 comments:

Christine said...

Sometimes the most unexpected welcome will stay with you the rest of your life.  A girl showed up in our church one morning, we invited her over for lunch.  She just lost her job and was living out of her car.  We said she could stay with us until she knew what she was going to do.  Then after 5 days she left,  she was going to drive across Canada leaving her pilot's resume at every small outfit.  We have never heard from her since.  I still think about her. 

John said...

Silly Deb, there are only 5 continents, remember? 

Jerry Lenaburg said...

the true meaning of "welcome". Thanks so much for sharing! I hope your face feels better soon. 

Deb. said...

Christine, first off, I think it's incredible that you invited her home for lunch! I grew up in a family that always took in strangers (I have an AWESOME mom!) and people who had nowhere to go . . . but I find it lacking in the Christian community these days. But then, invited her to stay!! BEAUTIFUL! I guarantee you, she still thinks about you!

Thanks for sharing!!

Deb. said...

HA HA HA!! OH RIGHT!!! WHAT WAS I THINKING?!?!?!

Deb. said...

Thanks Jerry!

Amy Thornton said...

How many times have I thought along these same lines - "It is near to His heart and showing it generously is considered evidence of discipleship." I've always loved that hospitality is one of the spiritual gifts. Thank you for posting this time instead of just writing in your head . . . I really enjoyed reading it. And, by the way, you weren't the only one who had to post on Saturday. Have a wonderful day. Smiles -

Deb. said...

Thanks Amy! And thanks for stopping by (come again)!

Tee @ aseedinspired.com said...

Loved finding your blog.
Heat rash is tricky,my babies get it...and honestly you just Ned to get to the other side of it.
What an interesting life you live.
Can't wait to read more.
Tee

Deb. said...

Hey Tee! Welcome! Yeah, my life is definitely 'out-of-the-box' but it makes for good stories. :) Thanks for stopping by . . . feel free to have a look around, and come back again soon!

Shanda Oakley said...

Am reading around and loving your blog.  You visited mine and left one word that brought me back:  Africa!  I grew up a mk in Zambia and went back twice to Africa twice as an adult to live...as well as 14 years in Central America.  So I am loving the cultural aspect of your posts.  Also remember the heat rash.  My daughter had to actually go on antiobiotics twice as it got so bad!

Deb. said...

Shanda! Welcome!! Thanks for reading, commenting, and looking around!

A friend in SouthAfrica once told me 'when you get the dust of Africa on your feet, you can't get it off.' And she was right!!

Deb. said...

Oh, and any tips on beating the heat rash???

Jdaniel4smom said...

I love how you described it as feeling like an insider. That is truly how I feel when I feel welcome.

Deb. said...

:)
Thanks for stopping by!

Kym said...

Loved your post.  Reminded me of the time I was driving half way across the US for my daughter's surgery and my hubby shared our home with a homeless family that we knew from our homeschool circles.  I always knew my hubby was a selfless guy. That was the biggest demonstration of it I had ever seen.  He slept on the sofa while he gave them all the comforts our very lived-in home could offer.

We have a homeschool community blog and are going for just the kind of welcome you describe - come in, eat & drink, share some success, failures, dilemmas or stories and find some encouragement.  Our version of welcome involves a cup of you favorite beverage and an empty seat at the table that can only be filled by "You".  Thanks for inspiring us to use the concept of "being treated like an insider" to "show warm community" to those who visit us just once or daily.

Deb. said...

Thanks Kym! And thanks for stopping by . . . come back again soon!