04 July 2011

I'm Allergic to Niger

When I was doing my undergrad in Athletic Training at Cedarville University, I had to take a class called 'Modalities'.  The point was to learn the what's, where's, when's and how's of therapeutic 'tools' such as electrical stimulation, ultrasound, massage, heat, and cold (things like hot and cold packs and heat and ice baths, etc).  Our labs were always a lot of fun and through them I learned a tremendous amount.

Including the fact that I have a rare allergy to cold.  Weird, I know.

Our lab assignment that particular day was to sit for 15 minutes-ish in the cold whirlpool . . . literally a big metal tub with a motor and lots and lots of ice . . . think Arctic waters icy.  I lasted three or four minutes before the pain started shooting from the tips of my toes up my legs.  When all my classmates had gone numb from thighs down and my toes were still producing electric shocks, my prof agreed to let me get out.  My legs were covered with white and red hives wherever the water had been.  My professor and classmates debated entering me in a science-fair . . . and I have spent my entire adult life happy that I know had a good excuse not to go skiing or iceskating (really I'm too petrified of the ski-lift . . . but 'rare allergy to the cold' sounds much better than 'I'll wet my pants if I have to take that thing all the way to the top!').  

Well, apparently cold isn't the only temperature extreme I'm allergic to.  We can now add Hot&Humid to the list.

As I type this, the top half of my body is actually a strawberry.  I say 'strawberry' and not 'tomato' because the redness of my skin is not smooth and shiny . . . no, it is bumpy and pitty, like a strawberry.  And I itch as though I've been rolling around in poison ivy. 

After several professional opinions of 'it's just heat rash,' over the past three weeks it has moved from small spots on my hands and left shoulder to across my chest and back, over both shoulders, down my arms and all over the backs of my hands . . . and today it has started to creep up my neck.

I've been prescribed several creams and a stronger-than-benedryl anti-histamine and have been sent home from work to sit in under in the air conditioner.  Apparently I have one of the worst cases most here have seen . . . and what's weird is it's not in the usual 'sweaty' places.  All my Nigerien co-workers insist I'm allergic to the heat and humidity.  Bazaar!!   

So, here I am, sitting in my AC cooled living room secretly hoping this warrants a med-evac to Alaska.

15 comments:

Sarah Fountain said...

No, not a med-evac to Alaska.  Just the Adirondacks!  That's why this third-trimester pregnant lady is spending July in Upstate NY rather than almost-Niger-hot west Texas.

Deb. said...

YOU'RE PREGNANT AGAIN!?!?! How did I miss that?!?!

And, oh, how I WISH I could be there!!!

Kmheubel said...

Deb, I have known several people, including my husband, who get a rash like that because of an allergy to UVB rays.  If this may be your case a really good suncreen that blocks UVB would due the trick.
Kim

Kmheubel said...

Deb, I have known several people, including my husband, who get a rash like that because of an allergy to UVB rays.  If this may be your case a really good suncreen that blocks UVB would due the trick.
Kim

Kmheubel said...

Deb, I have known several people, including my husband, who get a rash like that because of an allergy to UVB rays.  If this may be your case a really good suncreen that blocks UVB would due the trick.
Kim

Hilary Denny said...

Sounds like my little guy!  We had to resort to the AC yesterday too, and sitting in buckets of water every once in a while.  This is going to be a loooooong hot season!  Hope you get some relief!

Deb. said...

Thanks for the tip Kim!

Deb. said...

Yeah . . . the worst part is that 'hot' season is technically over and we're in 'rainy' season. Which means no more average of 120F, but the air is so humid we have to swim to work.

I checked out a lot of websites looking for creative home-remedies . . . the most popular: cold showers. I laughed outloud when I read that one. Here, our water is the temperature of the ground! No cold water until 'cold' season!

Sarah Fountain said...

Don't feel too bad not knowing.  We haven't done any big announcements for you to miss.  However, you can expect a bunch of pictures on Facebook in mid-September.  In any case, we wish you could be here, too!

Bobnrobn said...

Need I say what I am hoping for????? xoxoxox

Orest Pelech said...

I think you should stand out on the runway during the hottest, sunniest time and just burn it out of your system.  We would all support you through it as we stand by and watch.  Does that sound mean or helpful?

Shamrockheart79 said...

Praying for you...
chev

Deb. said...

Coming from you, Orest, it sounds like a great plan!! :)

Ekim025 said...

Besides the gift of being a servant, you have the gift of clear expression! you are so easy to listen to and to hear with my eyes. Deb, Lil' Sister, you need to log the experiences as they come from your heart. they if published could in a day ahead fund the work the Lord has called you to do. 

Deb. said...

Thank you!