19 June 2011

Lessons from Oral Rehydration Solution

I don't know if you've ever experienced dehydration.  I mean, real dehydration . . . like plugged to an IV dehydration.  I haven't . . . but since moving to Niger, I've been close a few times.  Usually on Sundays.

I'm not sure why, but on Sundays I don't drink nearly as much as I should and come 5 o'clock in the evening, I'm feeling it . . . massive headache . . . whole body aches . . . sometimes chills . . . usually really gross GI yuckiness that I don't want to describe on a blog for all the world to see . . . weakness . . . oh yeah, did I mention the headache??


Dehydration is not fun.

This morning as I was getting ready for church, I made myself stop and drink TWO 750mL camelbak bottles of water.  It felt excessive, but I knew if I didn't, by late afternoon I was going to be miserable, ready to tear open a packet of ORS and suck it down.

Oral Rehydration Solution is disgusting to say the least.  It's a powder mix that I now keep in my spice cabinet between the garlic powder and dried oregano.  It's supposed to be mixed into a liter of water .  . . you know, like Kool-Aid . . . minus the happy fruit punch flavor.  I hate the stuff, but it makes me feel better.

So as I was throwing back my 1500mL of BPAfree water I began to reflect on the necessity of action on my part ('preparation' if you will) in order to prevent dehydration and therefore the need for ORS.  But isn't it the same way in my spiritual life?  How often do I find myself totally 'dehydrated' simply because I didn't drink from the WellSpring of Life!?!?

And when I'm in that dry, weary state, I have only myself to blame . . . I wasn't drinking.  The water was there . . . I was holding the bottle . . . I just didn't drink!

But I also find, that I can be reading my Bible and praying . . . and still be dry . . . still be dehydrated.  What I'm lacking, is the electrolytes . . . the nourishment . . . the connection with the Spirit that is most healthy when present daily, and not only when I need to play catch-up.

But catch-up is better than nothing . . . so I'm turning off my computer for a little one-on-one rehydration time with the Spirit.

No comments: