04 May 2011

La Femme Likita

I'm not a doctor.  But here in Niger, OT doesn't exist . . . nor it's French counterpart, ergothérapie.  On occasion, someone will have heard of physio (or kiné), but in general, my patients have no idea who I am or what I do.  They know I'm not a nurse . . . mainly because every time family members see they come carrying a patient's chart, to which I simply respond 'babu magani' (no medicine).

Often, when it's not 'baturiya' (white woman), the patients will call me 'likita' (doctor) . . . to which I reply 'babu likita' (no doctor) . . . and then they are confused even more.  So I've tried to come up with some other options.  All have failed.

Today I told a man I was the 'Mai Tafiya' (owner of walking).  He thought I was crazy.

I've also been giving a lot of thought to what the sign on the door should say . . . I'd like to have 'Departement de la Rééducation' in French (mainly because there's two accents . . . and also because I like say 'rééducation' with it's nasaly '-tion' on the end), but there needs to be a Hausa name too.  I've been thinking 'Gidan Tafiya' (House of Walking), but the OT in me is screaming 'FUNCTION!  FUNCTION!  WHERE'S ALL THE FUNCTION!?!?!?'  But I think 'House of Functional Mobility and Purposeful Activity' is wee bit excessive.

So here's where you come in.  Any ideas?

10 comments:

Matthew Megill said...

I would try '

char said...

how about something that means "returning to daily life" or "back to normal"...?

Galmi Mom said...

Kendrick is suggesting "Madori bokan turai" or "Mai gyara kafafu". He says to run these by Yacubu and see what he thinks.

Galmi Mom said...

Or the owner of exercise! Or the owner of getting people up!

Deborah Berruti said...

(truth be told, it's more like 'the owner of catching people before they hit the floor') :)

Deborah Berruti said...

These are great! Thanks! (I can just picture me trying this out 'with a native speaker': 'Gi-dan aik . . . aik . .. aik . . . aikin . . . gab. . . gab . . . ga'b. . . ga'b . . . 'b . . . 'b . . . 'bo . . . 'bo'bi . . . ga'bo'bi.' Maybe I should go with 'owner of the stumbling tongue!) :)

Deborah Berruti said...

I'm afraid that would mean I have to really know what 'normal' is! :)

Kari said...

"Owner of walking," eh? Do you have a magic wand to make people walk or not walk? :) I like "House of Functional Mobility and Purposeful Activity" - or "Department of Functional Mobility" - I think that works. :)

Deborah Berruti said...

HA HA HA!! Yeah, I guess that wouldn't make sense to anyone who doesn't speak Hausa. Here, someone's title is based on what they have (in a way) . . . for example, the tailor is literally 'The Owner of Sewing' (or sometimes 'the sewing machine') . . . a husband is 'The Owner of the House' . . . the guy selling mangos on the side of the road is 'The Owner of Mangos'. So I figured since people come to me for mobility, I must be the 'Mai Tafiya' (Owner of Walking). : ) See . . . it all makes sense!

Shal said...

Ooh, I have to mediate on this question!! :) Maybe House of Independent Living? Or will that cause political mischief? ;)