25 May 2011

Get Involved

I've had a number of you contact me with requests about donating supplies and goodies.  Mail to Niger takes a LONG time and it can sometimes be more expensive to ship whatever the package than the contents are actually worth.  All that to say, it is REALLY nice to get mail though.

Anyway, the good news is there's a container being packing in the US that will be shipped her.  It takes a month or two to arrive in Galmi (unless of course there was a coup d'√©tats last year and the temporary govm't is waiting for the new elections and things get held up in customs . . . but seeing as that's already happened this year, the odds are in our favor).


So, for those of you who would like to get involved by giving, type in a comment below using an active email address (I'm the only one who can see them . . . not to worry) and I'll send you the address of where to mail the goodies.

Here's what we can use:

  1. Cast shoes (all sizes).  You know, those 'shoes' that people wear over casts so they can walk.  Med supply stores or Walmart.  
  2. Bubbles. Small containers that can be given to kiddos when their about to be discharged from the hospital.  They are quite the novelty and they encourage fine motor skills and visual tracking and hey, when you're a kid it's nice to get a present.
  3. Turtlenecks (baby and kid sizes).  I know what you're thinking 'Uh, Deb., you live at the edge of the SAHARA!'  But when it's 120F and it drops to 70-80F and your body is acclimated to the heat, it's a COLD two months (needless to say, I CAN'T WAIT!)
  4. Duct Tape.  I love red, but any color is welcomed.  Maybe it's available in Niamey, but I've looked and couldn't find any.
  5. Splinting Materials.  This includes thermoplastics, velcro, and straps.  If you have any questions, ask an OT.
  6. Toothbrushes and travel-size toothpaste.  I've decided if I'm going to give anything out, it should promote good hygiene.
  7. Peanut Butter M&M's.  Hey, if the OT ain't happy, ain't nobody happy! :)
THANK YOU in advance for your generosity, participation, and support of the work here in Galmi!

5 comments:

Elizabeth Kunkel said...

Hey Debs,  Can you give us your address for Niger?  So we can send you a card.  I would also like the address as to where to mail the goodies for the container.  When is the container being shipped?  I may or may not get in this time with moving and all.  BUT plan on it in the future! My e-mail is ekunkeldo@gmail.com

Heidi Satterfield said...

Send me the address, I will see if our small group(bible study) will want to send some of the things listed above!

Grannyo1947 said...

Send the address to me and the missions committee of Calvary Bible Church in Deptford, NJ would be interested in donating supplies. Blessings to you.

Bethany Reamer said...

can you send me the address too?? i got the PB M &M's covered =)

Shamrockheart79 said...

I'm just catching up on your blog....been thinking about you and enjoying reading your adventures...please let me know the address to send supplies.
Hope to email you more soon...
chev