02 May 2011

Baturiya Baturiya.

You  know you're a good singer when you can get to go by only one name.  Beyonce.  Shakira.  Bono.  We'll as of Sunday, my stage name is Baturiya ('white woman').

That's right, Sunday in church I made my musical debut.  

In theory I had several 'background' singers (who happened to be in the foreground, only because they're a lot shorter), but I'm pretty sure that when it was their time to sing, they were actually whispering.   I don't know what got into them!  In Sunday School the little boys are yelling the songs at the top of their lungs.  Put us all in front of the church . . . their lips move, but nothing comes out!

S. the class's teacher had asked me to teach them some easy songs in English.  This one was Hallelu Hallelu . . . you know . . . the one where the boys stand up first and sing 'Hallelu, hallelu, hallelu, hallelujah!' and they quick sit as the girls jump up and sing 'Praise ye the Lord' . . . and it ends with everyone singing 'PRRRAAAAISE YEEE THE LORD!!'  Oh, come on!  I know you know it!

Well, the kiddos LOVE it!  And we got up, like all the grown up choirs, and sang our hearts out . . . or at least I did, with my little lip-syncers down in front.  We did get a lot of clapping at the end . . . but I think that was to cover up the laughter.

Remember Picture Pages with Bill Cosby??
'One of these things just doesn't belong here?'

4 comments:

Ginny said...

I love your blog! You just crack me up with your stories. God blessed you with a wonderful sense of humor!

Claudia said...

Love the pic, Deb :)!

Bobnrobn said...

DJB.....this reminds me of the CotW 'chicken song' when the girls from Tapawingo were in Tibbetts and everyone was singing the Twelve Days of CHRISTmas.....looks like it's all in the family!!! xoxoxoxox

Shal said...

So cute!!!!