30 April 2011

Life Lessons in Humility

In all parts of the world, there are very different smells.  Some pleasant, others not so pleasant.  We all have differing definitions of personal hygiene . . . as well as different access to personal hygienic products.

The first lesson one learns when taking a crowded bus in a foreign country, is that not all cultures believe in the use of deodorant.


You get my point.

Due to the nature of my work, I am often in very close personal proximity with my patients.  It's hot here.  I'm not the only one sweating.  Then throw in the unique scents that come with wound management and burn care and my olfactory nerve has a pretty interesting daily adventure.

Only yesterday, the random-stranger-standing-too-close-to-me-on-a-stuffy-bus smell was a little stronger than usual.  It seemed to be everywhere.

Throughout the day as I was going from patient to patient doing bed-side treatments, I kept thinking to myself, 'Wow, it's strong today.'  Even when standing talking with coworkers in the nurses' station . . . it was just hovering all day.

So you can imagine my disgust when I found myself sitting in my office, alone . . . smelling.

That's right!  IT WAS ME!!  I smelled like a high school boys locker room!

I just hope that while I'm interacting with my patients, it's not the only smell they notice!

For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing.
2 Corinthians 2:15

5 comments:

Bethany Reamer said...

you really do have a write a book! =)

Heidi Satterfield said...

I second that....you should write a book! I would read it!

Bobnrobn said...

Ink a dink, a bottle of ink, the cork fell out and you stink! That was a rhyme that was used when I was a kid, said while choosing teams.....all the kids stood around iin a circle with their fists forward and one kid was chosen as the leader, and that person went around the circle with his hands in fists and tapped each kid's fists until he got to the end of the rhyme. That person was the first one on the team! "A blast from the past" from yo momma

Deborah Berruti said...

Wow mom, you're old! (but I love you anyway!)

Ryniakg said...

Robin and Deborah, I remember that also. I guess it was not just a Brooklyn rhyme.