22 April 2011

Henna: The Hausa Word for 'Oops'

When I was in India 10 years ago (wow!  has it been that long!) the family I was living with put henna on my hands just before I left.  It was beautiful!  I've always wanted to have it done again, and here in Niger it's tradition to apply it for special occasions and holidays.  With Easter this weekend, one of our families here decided it would be fun and allowed me to crash their party.


My hands went pretty well.


















My feet, on the other hand.  They're a different story.


I just keep telling myself that it will be almost all faded in (hopefully) six weeks or so.

The S-haus women's feet were beautifully decorated with flowers and curlies and flowing patterns.  My feet look like the wall after a preschooler decided to play Picasso with his stolen crayons.

Triangles.  Dots.  Funky geometric clover-things.  Arrows on my toes . . . maybe it's to help me know which way to put my feet into my shoes.

It's bad.


No.  I mean it.  REALLY BAD.




Maybe if the triangles were more of a tiger-pattern . . . I don't know.  But it's here . . . for at least six weeks!  Any suggestions on getting henna to fade prematurely??

5 comments:

Galmi Mom said...

Maybe you can re-do it to your liking with a Sharpie marker!!! I think some extra time in the pool, with a good loofa scrubbing after might fade it a little, a very little!!

Deborah Berruti said...

Maybe I could dip my feet into black paint . . . that might work. :)

Beth said...

I think that I heard recently that lemon juice will take it off.

Rachel said...

Wow! Powerful stuff!

Beth said...

I think that I heard recently that lemon juice will take it off.