07 March 2011

Vive la Mode!

Everywhere you go in the world there is a new definition of 'style' . . . and Niger is no exception.

Now I tend to be a pretty basic dresser . . . nothing too flashy . . . nothing too fashionable . . . basic black and deep solids (like navy, royal blue, aubergine, deep red, etc).  Unfortunately simple, solid, and basic don't fly here.  The bigger the print, the louder the pattern, the brighter the colors, the better!


Walking around the hospital and being in church, I've seen some really interesting patterns!  Let's see, there have been whistles (like what a ref blows), and octopi, and prawns (for those of you in the US, those are big shrimp), and polo players on horseback, and Saturns (as in the planet . . . with it's rings), and bird feathers, and today I saw the same pattern twice in different colors that I'm pretty sure were ovaries, and when I was here in 2008 I even found fabric with old-fashioned porcelain clawed-foot bathtubs complete with a shower head!

Needless to say, I'm going to have to ease myself in slowly.

11 comments:

Deborah said...

And yes, that is my living room . . . but no, those are NOT my couches . . . they are temporary ones until the ones I ordered arrive (in about another 3 weeks!). So not to worry . . . I would never pick red curtains with a lime-green couch!! :)

Sarah Fountain said...

I think your outfit is beautiful! I saw you tagged in a facebook picture wearing it at church, and I thought it was lovely then, too. Do you buy them ready-made, or do you buy the fabric and have it tailored?

Bethany said...

I'd definitely prefer the ones with the whistles and bathtubs. =)

Deborah said...

@Sarah . . . That was Sunday morning, it was Le Jour Des Femmes (Women's Day) at church, so they asked us to have a choir. I usually only sing when I think no one can hear me . . . but apparently it was important. So there I was!

Some tailors will have pieces prête à porter (ready-made), but mostly we buy the fabric and have it tailored! In every market there will be a section for fabric vendors and their stalls are lined with different fabrics hanging. (When I was in Niamey my first week here, we went into a fabric shop . . . he even had doors. It was two rooms with so much color and pattern the only way I can describe it is as a perfume shop for my eyes--instant headache!)

So this particular outfit was made for me--I drew a sketch of the top and gave him a skirt to model for the bottom. It's hard to see in the picture, but the sleeves, neckline, and waist all have embroidery . . . hand-done with a very old sewing machine! They really do an AMAZING job!!

Anonymous said...

You should totally get one with bathtubs on it... that would be AWESOME!!

Liz said...

You look beautiful and I love the outfit!

Jane Brunett said...

Deb, I liked your dress! Especially the colors....i like your couch and curtains....xoxoxo Jane

Kari said...

Ovaries?! Really, Deb? :) I love your outfit - I think it suits you well!

Jane Brunett said...

Deb, I liked your dress! Especially the colors....i like your couch and curtains....xoxoxo Jane

Liz said...

You look beautiful and I love the outfit!

Anonymous said...

You should totally get one with bathtubs on it... that would be AWESOME!!