04 March 2011

Scorpion:1 Deb.:0

That's right.  The sucker got me!  So much for thinking he was gone.  When he disappeared, he must have fallen onto my skirt.  So a little while later, when I went to sit down, I was met with the sharpest pain I've ever felt.  He stung me on the back of my knee . . . just at the top of the gastroc muscle.  So it burned when I stood still, and every time I would take a step it was as though someone had rammed a steak in between the muscle fibers.  EXCRUCIATING!!!!!

Once I realized what had happened I stripped off my skirt and managed to find a pair of shorts.  I hobbled over to my neighbor's and whimpered like a little girl.  Thankfully she knew what to do: ice, then find a doc who could give me a shot of local anesthesia and adrenaline.


The walk to the operating room (where the anesthesia and needles live) was painful (to put it lightly), but once SuperDocE. injected me (six times in the end), the pain was gone.  I can't feel the back of my leg, but hey, the pain's gone!

She loaded me up with another dose or two for this evening . . . word on the street is that the pain lasts 24 hours.

So it's been quite a day of Nigerien firsts for me . . . this morning it was a funeral (that story will come this evening) and now it's a scorpion sting.  I figure if I get all the rough stuff done in my first two weeks at Galmi, the rest will be smooth sailing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry, dear friend. But I bet you're right about the first two weeks ;) -Amber

Bob said...

Wow! So sorry to hear about that particular first!! Hope you're able to find the culprit and dispose of him.

Praying for you... though I admit I hadn't prayed that scorpion wouldn't run up your skirt! I guess I'll add that one now.

Amy joins in saying hello!

Hannatu said...

Oh ouch! I KNOW how you feel. I've been stung, too. I sure hope the pain subsides soon.

Anonymous said...

Deb, so ironic that my two phobias (and I pride myself in not being a type to have them) were mentioned within days of each other in your posts. I find it only somewhat humorous that God decided to make me highly intolerant to parasites and to send me to Africa. And the scorpions--didn't even know until I met them Italy that they could send me to the top of the couch and screaming in .3 seconds. But somehow I feel like just getting stung and realizing I'd survived it would help lessen my fear of the darn things. Until then, I think I'll still consider them my second phobia. And the parasite things is going to HAVE to be cured somehow! Blessings and hugs! Leah (Nielson) Long

Hannatu said...

Oh ouch! I KNOW how you feel. I've been stung, too. I sure hope the pain subsides soon.

Bob said...

Wow! So sorry to hear about that particular first!! Hope you're able to find the culprit and dispose of him.

Praying for you... though I admit I hadn't prayed that scorpion wouldn't run up your skirt! I guess I'll add that one now.

Amy joins in saying hello!