08 March 2011

Not For the Faint Of Heart

Disclaimer: if you have a low tolerance for blood and guts and all things yucky or a highly sensitive vagus nerve (that stimulates the gag reflex) continue reading AT YOUR OWN RISK!  This post may not be pleasant . . . don't say I didn't warn you!

When I tell people that my diagnosis of preference to treat is burns I usually get the same response: HOW CAN YOU DO THAT?!?!  I don't know what it is, but it's one of those areas you either love or hate . . . like psych.


I've seen a lot of 'gross' things working with burn patients . . . but today topped them all.  There are times when the odor is unmanageable and I've needed to leave the room for a few minutes, but today I almost tossed my cookies!

I couldn't look.  It was just too much.

When the surgeon removed the bandages, there were maggots in the burn!  Apparently this was a not so bad thing, as they eat the dead tissue and not the viable tissue.  But worms are worms and that's where I draw the line!  I'm pretty sure its the only time I've almost vomited in the OR.

5 comments:

Phyllis Wallin said...

What??? No pictures?

Anonymous said...

I once got to see the surgeon use leeches on a crush injury repair. It really wasn't half as bad as I expected it to be. I think maggots would be worse though! Shal

Althea said...

I saw maggots in a wound once in nursing school clinicals. I still creeps me out just thinking about it!!! Glad you didn't lose your lunch! Blessings! Althea

Phyllis Wallin said...

What??? No pictures?

Anonymous said...

I once got to see the surgeon use leeches on a crush injury repair. It really wasn't half as bad as I expected it to be. I think maggots would be worse though! Shal