20 March 2011

More Random Facts About My New Life in Niger

1.  I have to cook everything from scratch . . . and even the scratch is from scratch.  For example, if I want to make wheat bread, I have to buy the wheat, wash it, dry it, then grind it.

2.  We never know when the electricity is going to cut off . . . tonight I was mid-shower.  Yeah, that's fun.


3.  My easy-bake-oven broke, so I had to replace it . . . and this time I got one with pilot lights for the stove.  FANCY!

4.  It is so dusty here, even my mosquito net collects dust.

5.  It is considered socially appropriate for a stranger to comment on your marital status or weight.

6.  Milk comes in powder form . . . and tastes like vanilla astronaut ice cream.

7.  My toilet bowl and tub and still very rust-stained.

8.  I'm getting really good at tying a wrap-around skirt . . . and getting up off the floor in one too.

9.  My new friend Saratu makes awesome rice and beans.

10.  I'm pretty sure they use flat Coca-Cola for communion at church . . . which made me happy.

11.  I think I may need a chainsaw to manage the calluses on my feet.

12.  I can only wear shorts/pants inside my apartment.

13.  Wearing a wig in place of a head covering is becoming popular amongst our nurses and at church . . . I'm debating joining the trend . . . I wonder how I'd look as a blonde.

14.  The first pieces of laundry hung on the line are dry by the time the last ones are hung.

15.  My favorite part of the day is still my siesta.


Weekend fabric sightings: Hockey pucks, hand mirrors, and sewing machines.

9 comments:

Beth said...

Well, I found the ice skates to go with the hockey pucks here in Niamey so now all we need are some sticks and helmets....had to chuckle at the chainsaw for the caluses comment...so true!

heidibelle said...

and how do you know what astronout ice cream tastes like?

bonne courage...

Anonymous said...

I LAUGHED at the wig to replace head covering thing!!! I NEVER thought of a wig in that way. And I'm really enjoying your growing list of interesting print sightings!
Leah Long

Phil said...

My favorite was DEFINITELY a chainsaw for the calluses on your feet. I had a lady try to cut them off herself with a razor blade and got infected. You'll know better than that of course.

P.S. Don't drink the water!!!

Bethany said...

hockey pucks?? no way. my favorite is still the claw-foot bathtubs.

and i want to hear about your new friend. =) sister, we need to talk!

sherri lynn said...

your life is so interesting! thanks for taking time to share these details!

Anonymous said...

Loved the post Deb! And I found when I was pregnant with Drew, people here found it social acceptable to comment on your marital status and weight. Ha!
Shalini

sherri lynn said...

your life is so interesting! thanks for taking time to share these details!

heidibelle said...

and how do you know what astronout ice cream tastes like?

bonne courage...