19 March 2011

I Don't

Well, it’s only taken a month, but I received my first legit offer of marriage today . . . in the middle of a therapy session.  I’ve had a patient arraigned during a session once . . . but, a proposal, this was a first.  
It was my burn patient.   Normally, when he’s high on valium (so we can do his dressing changes and stretching) the only coherent thing he says is ‘oui cherie, c’est comme ça’ while I’m his knees and ankles . . . you can imagine the looks I get from the OR staff everyday (best part is, he’s not a French-speaker!).  
So today, I brought him the walker and we went for a short (and very difficult) walk.  On arriving back at his bed, his mother came in the room.  She looked me up and down, said something to my patient and his brother, they both agreed, then she started saying something to me.  ‘Babu Hausa‘ I replied.  She said it again . . . I shrugged my shoulders, ‘babu Hausa, je suis désolée‘.  She hooked her two index fingers together and smiled sweetly at me.  
Now, when I was here in 2008, a patient at the leprosy hospital had done the same thing, only with his little fingers, and by making that gesture, he was in fact asking me to marry him . . . I told him, then, I was only interested in being the first wife.  My patient however, isn’t married yet . . . so that approach wasn’t going to work here.  
I pretended to still not understand when another old woman in the room said ‘MARRIAGE!‘  I started to laugh and state, very firmly and possibly a little too loudly, ‘NO!!!!  NO!!!!!!!!!!  NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!‘  Thankfully they laughed a little bit too, but then she  asked AGAIN.  She really wanted me to marry her son . . . and the worst part is I was the only one in the room objecting. 

3 comments:

Robin said...

Tell them your father will accept no less than 200 camels, 200 goats, 500 chickens, a home made of cement with 5 rooms, a cook, a house cleaner, all furnishings, internet that works, air-conditioning, a new outfit every day, no other wives; then your mother has a list

Robin said...

Tell them your father will accept no less than 200 camels, 200 goats, 500 chickens, a home made of cement with 5 rooms, a cook, a house cleaner, all furnishings, internet that works, air-conditioning, a new outfit every day, no other wives; then your mother has a list

Deborah Berruti said...

And then they have to ship all the animals to Florida!