23 February 2011

Always, Coca-Cola

So I had a fist fight with a can of Coke today . . . and I lost.

When I was in France, I heard somewhere that Coca-Cola will remove rust stains from porcelain.  It struck me as odd at the time, and that is why I remembered it . . . not because I thought I might someday need to test the validity of the suggestion.


That is, until I moved to Galmi.

My bathtub, toilet, and sink all bear the marks of years of leakiness.  There's nothing wrong with them . . . rust just isn't in my color scheme (I know, call me superficial).

So today I went to the once-a-week open air market in town with one of the compound's two teenagers.  On our way home, E. and I stopped at the Galmi equivalent of Wawa (or Seven11 or Kwik-E Mart, depending on which Springfield you're from) to try to buy a bottle of Coke.  At first I thought the catch would be convincing the patron that he should let me leave with the bottle on the promise that I would bring it back (the glass bottles here are returned to the factory, sterilized and refilled.  Many of them look as though Noah had brought them with him on the ark).  But unfortunately, the vendor didn't speak French, and E.'s Hausa isn't specialized to new-uses-for-old-things.  A passerby helped us out, only to find out that they carry an off-brand.  Unsure of what exactly it is that supposedly causes Coke to de-rust the tub, I decided to wait for the real thing (no pun intended).

Two stalls down, we found a guy with a Coleman cooler type box.  Sure enough, he had a single can of Coke.

I brought it home and set it on my kitchen counter for later . . . I had no intention of moving on to the bathroom until the kitchen was finished.

But of course, the can of Coke had other ideas.

Also on the countertop was my new microwave . . . still in it's box.  In an attempt to remove it from it's casing, I began to lower the box to the floor . . . there was a thud followed by a sharp hiss.  'What the??? OH NO!!!!!!  NO!!!!!!!!!!'  Like a rocket, the Coke can slid across my kitchen floor spraying it's sticky-once-dry contents all over my new oven, clean floor . . . and of course, me.

With my cat-like reflexes, I grabbed the can (which in reality looked more like a wrestling match) and tried to cover the tiny holes with my fingertips.  I ran into the bathroom and aimed for the tub stain and with the last remaining bit, the toilet bowl.

About 3/4 of the can were already gone by the time I got to my desired target.  But I think it's made a difference.  Or maybe it's just in my head.

3 comments:

Bethany said...

i'm laughing right now. i love how you always drop things! :) remember the Medford starbucks? i seem to remember several puddles of coffee on the floor. :) ...and several rounds of laughter that followed. love you!

Deborah said...

(that's because I'm the only OT in the world with butterfingers!)

Bethany said...

i'm laughing right now. i love how you always drop things! :) remember the Medford starbucks? i seem to remember several puddles of coffee on the floor. :) ...and several rounds of laughter that followed. love you!