03 November 2010

La Mode . . . C'est Moi!

One of my favorite things about French culture is their open-mindedness with the term 'fashion.'  Paris is the world capital of all things de la mode . . . but I have to admit, sometimes I look at the passersby and think to myself 'REALLY??  You're wearing that??' Okay, I would NEVER claim to be a fashionista, and have never really ever made an effort to be some much as 'trendy'.  Yet, despite how wacky and crazy some of the outfits may seem to me, here in France the attitude seems to be 'if you're wearing it, it's fashionable' (even if it's a fanny pack . . . that would be an American 'fanny pack' not the British version, for you, my loyal readers from the UK).


From cut-offs over florescent pink tights, to a chic black suit . . . the French make it work . . . or at least they accept it.  And some clever advertizer has recently tapped into this fashion worldview and turned it into an ad campaign for one of the top department stores in France, Les Galeries Lafeyette, in which they claim: Fashion, It's You! 

So today, I thought I'd give it a try.  When in Rome, right??  I mean, Paris, sorry.  You see, today was laundry day, and I find the French dryers to be exceedingly harsh on clothing, so I've resorted to line drying everything . . . which after mid September takes about a day and a half.  Which was no problem this morning at 8:30 when I started the washers while still in my pajamas.  It wasn't until I had already hung everything up to dry that I realized the folly of my haste to get it all done.  I had NOTHING to wear . . . or at least nothing normal to wear.  All my jeans were soaking wet. 

Trying to decide what to do, I spotted my black-and-white polka-dotted wellies (you know, the rubber rainboots that you wore as a kid so that your mom would let you stomp through puddles).  I decided to participate in this culture I've been learning for the past year and half and designed an outfit around the boots.  I grabbed a plain black dress, my long dark gray thick cardigan and a pair of black tights.  BINGO!  Needing to run to the store, I took my craziest scarf (which is still quite tame if it's in my wardrobe) and hit the road. 

But I realized something today . . . doesn't really matter what you're wearing, if you walk confidently, someone is bound to think you know what you're doing when you get dressed in the morning!

5 comments:

Bethany said...

awesome... so awesome. i love it! did you happen to take a picture? :)

Deborah said...

No I didn't, but I was told by two people that I looked very cute and very French! :)

Bethany said...

who would have known the wellies would be such a hit in France?! i love it. i had mine with me when i visited you last year, but i was too chicken to wear them. i'm proud of you, deb!! :D

Bethany said...

who would have known the wellies would be such a hit in France?! i love it. i had mine with me when i visited you last year, but i was too chicken to wear them. i'm proud of you, deb!! :D

Deborah said...

No I didn't, but I was told by two people that I looked very cute and very French! :)