07 November 2010

F-R-O-M-A-G-E!



Not going to lie, one of my most favorite things about living in France is the cheese.  Moving (end of January 2011) to a place where someone drives across the border to Nigeria in order to supply the hospital compound with toilet paper also means learning to live without other luxuries such as peppercorn-crusted-brie and cumin-infused-gouda.  But the truth is, in Galmi, it's difficult (and therefore expensive) to get even something as simple as Kiri Squares (little creamcheese-like squares that seem to be popular everywhere outside of the US).


Recently a friend who is living in the capital city of Cameroon mentioned the price of mozzerella where she is living . . . which in turn prompted a conversation over lunch with my good friend A. who told me that making mozzerella is actually very easy. 

I had done some research on making cheese once before, but never actually read through the process.  So after talking with A. today I decided to take a second look.   A simple google search brought me to a dream come true . . . I can make my own mozzerella in 30 minutes . . . along with FETA . . . and MASCARPONE . . . and CRÈME FRAÎCHE . . . and BRIE (okay, maybe not the brie . . . will have to age too long in a cool place . . . MUCH cooler than Niger)!!! 
 

So, fellow I-Just-Left-the-Land-of-Cheese-ers, I pass this on.  Happy Cheesing.  http://www.cheesemaking.com/

4 comments:

Hannatu said...

And when you come to Niamey you can stock up on gouda avec cumin! Mmmmmm....I haven't seen that here in the US. You just gave me a major craving!

Liz said...

Thank you Deb! I have successfully made cottage cheese and it is easy. I will need to check out your link to cheese making.

Deborah said...

YOU CAN GET GOUDA WITH CUMIN IN NIAMEY!?!?!?!? Thanks Nancy!! You just raised my Galmi recruiting power by 10 points!

Hannatu said...

And when you come to Niamey you can stock up on gouda avec cumin! Mmmmmm....I haven't seen that here in the US. You just gave me a major craving!