20 July 2010

On the Road Again

Tomorrow I leave Paris for six weeks.  I'm heading south for the summer.  I'm taking a bit of an indirect route, stopping to spend a few days with a very close friend and together we will spend another few days with two missionary couples from our home church in Mt. Laurel, New Jersey (the church, not the missionaries).  I'm looking forward to the spiritual nourishment that I always get from quality time spent with B.

Once I land in the south, I will be back in camp-mode.  It's been seven years (I think) since I last worked at Camp-of-the-Woods in Speculator, NY.  I honestly never thought I'd use my summer experiences of working in the kitchen or making beds at a camp again!  But I'm actually really looking forward to it.  There's something absolutely fabulous about working at summer camp . . . hard core service.  I love it.


But I'm not just going down there because I'm in the mood to scrub some toilets.  In actuality the main goal is to work on my oral language skills: speaking and listening.  The idea is even more immersion than I get here in Massy.  When I arrive at L'Eau Vive, no more English.  That's how it's supposed to be here . . . but the reality is that I find myself using the old mother-tongue way too often.  But all that's about to change!

Truth is, I'm a little nervous.  Think about all the things you said today.  Not just the small stuff to the stranger bagging your groceries, but your conversations at work or around the dinner table.  Now imagine not being able to say any of that in English!  May actually be a little fun the first day . . . maybe even the second or third.  But eventually, there will be a topic of which my vocabulary fails.  Or those miscommunications that result in the wrong room being cleaned, or worse, someone getting angry or offended.

So, there you have it.  First thing in the morning, I'm off running again.  I will try to post as often as possible, but there's really no guarantee of when I'll have internet access.  À la prochaine!

2 comments:

Phil said...

I'm so happy you and "B" get to spend some quality time together! I know it will be good for both of your souls. I also admire you for the work you'll be doing at L'Eau Vive. I'll pray that the immersion will be a sanctifying experience for you :).

Phil said...

I'm so happy you and "B" get to spend some quality time together! I know it will be good for both of your souls. I also admire you for the work you'll be doing at L'Eau Vive. I'll pray that the immersion will be a sanctifying experience for you :).