11 June 2010

Hey, You Asked.

That's right.  Over there in the left hand column is a little box that allows anyone to ask me anything.  There have been some interesting questions.  Feel free to leave more.

Can you train to be a pta in the states and then work in France?
Good question.

Step 1: do some research and found out if PTA exists in France. There are PT's (here they are called kinésiothérapeutes) in France . . . lots of them. But I have not heard anything about PTA's or OTA's or PA's.


Step 2: learn fluent French . . . one would probably need to have a C1 level (I'm currently about a mid B1 after 9 months of immersion and classes).

Step 3: find a hospital or clinic that will extend an invitation. One requirement for a work visa is a letter of invitation from the desired place of employment.

Step 4: prove that there is no one in all of France (and quite possibly the whole EU) who is more qualified for the position. Like everywhere right now, the job market is pretty rough, so jobs in France go to the French (and EU) citizens and residents first.

Step 5: read 60 Million Frenchmen Can't Be Wrong and anything else available on living in France . . . whenever going to a new place, RESEARCH . . . always do some research before moving to someone else's country.

Step 6: enjoy the ride.

How many days of school does Franny have left before summer??? 14 baby! WOOOO!!! How many days do you have left before the term ends and you start working at that camp? 
My finals start next Friday. School's done the following Friday. After a little rest, I'm heading down south to Marseille to volunteer at a French family camp . . . where I will work in the kitchen or clean rooms or mow lawns . . . and speak only in French!

Why did you pick to work with SIM and not another organization?
When I was nine I went to summer camp. But the nine-year-old cabin was full, so they put me in with the thirteen-year-olds. Our counselor had been working with SIM in Liberia with her husband. He was a surgeon there. Liberia was in the midst of a civil war, and she had been evacuated back to the States while he stayed to keep the hospital open. They now work at a different hospital in a different country in west Africa.

A few years ago, as I was about to graduate from OT school I ran into them. We talked about pvc prosthetics and the role of OT in Africa as I was contemplating working at a prosthetic clinic in Sierra Leone with TheMercyShips. They told me I was welcomed at their hospital if I ever wanted to come. 

After I began to work at TUH in Philly, I decided it was time to begin the process of getting to Africa, but even with much prayer, I felt no peace about going to SL, so I stopped that process and found myself looking for other opportunities. And that's how I ended up at SIM.


What does "Avec Deux Mains" mean in French? Why is it the title of your blog?
Avec Deux Mains means With Two Hands in French. 

I picked to use this as my title because Jesus often referred to the discipleship process in agricultural terms. When I first started down this road there were a lot of factors that would have made turning back pretty easy . . . but I believed the right thing to do was to keep heading forward, down that road. I chose to "put my two hands to the plow" and I wanted a constant reminder of that decision and commitment that I made.

But for me, as an Occupational Therapist, there is also another meaning. Humans get two hands. That's it. We are also 'doing' beings . . . and how do we do whatever it is we do or interact with our environment around us? Our hands. For those who are blind use their hands to see, those who are deaf use their hands to hear and speak.

Hands are important to me. This is what I've chosen to do with mine.

Can you post a video of yourself speaking french so your dear readers will know that you're actually not that bad at french?
I've given it some thought, and for now I'm going to say no.

Now before the protest begins, let me explain myself. For starters, I HATE hearing myself outloud. My thoughts are much better formulated when written than spoken. Which leads me to point number two . . . I can never come up with anything to say when the camera is on, so it takes me forever which leads to lots of dead air time . . . or I say so many stupid things I'm constantly having to go back and try over. When I had to do my video interview for SIM, the computer guys ended up making a blooper reel that they put on the DVD . . . I'm HALF of it!! That's right! I single handedly compose half of the 10 minute or so blooper reel . . . one of the clips is me actually falling off the stool. 

So, no. I'm not going to make a video. But thanks for asking!


6 comments:

robin in alabama said...

Thank you for answering my question about workings as a pta in France. I too grew up in Liberia West Africa. We left in 78so we were in the states when all the bad stuff happened and happened. We would use the hospital/clinic out at ELWA. One day I would like to go back.

Bethany said...

you really fell off the stool? only you, Deb!! remember when you dumped your coffee all over the Medford Starbucks?? oh wait... that happened on more than one occasion, didn't it? =)

Deborah said...

Well, I guess since we're telling all my clumsy moments . . . remember that time that I dropped the splint I had been making in the OR for a burn patient's hand, and just as I was about to apply it I dropped it on the ground and the surgeon looked up and said "Deb. you're the ONLY OT in the WHOLE world with butterfingers!"

Robin: I have a friend who has recently helped start the dental clinic now at ELWA. The pictures he's posted of the area are absolutely beautiful.

Phil said...

Yeah I was the one that checked all of the options at the bottom of the post.

Phil said...

Yeah I was the one that checked all of the options at the bottom of the post.

Bethany said...

you really fell off the stool? only you, Deb!! remember when you dumped your coffee all over the Medford Starbucks?? oh wait... that happened on more than one occasion, didn't it? =)