26 May 2010

Mother Tongue Knows Best

During the lunch break today I had a postcard in my mailbox.  It was from my mom!  At the bottom of the card she wrote  "What will you laugh and write about when you make no language mistakes?"  Well, not to worry, loyal readers, I'm pretty sure I will continue making language mistakes for as long as I'm alive.

Such as this afternoon in class.


We went to the language lab to do a listening activity.  We watched a video clip of French comedienne Anne Roumanoff.  As the computers turned on, my prof, A., went around and walked each of us through the LOGOLab menu to find the file.

She came to me and told me to choose Vidéo from the first menu.  Then Comédiens from the next.  Followed by Anne Roumanoff.  The window filled with file icons.  Lequel? (Which one?) I asked.  On attend des autres.  I looked at the file names.  Didn't see it right away.  On attend des autres.  She said again.   I scanned the file names again.  Still not seeing 'On attend des autres.'  She said it again, this time with a little more force.  On attend des autres.

Being really confused as to why I couldn't find the file I moved the cursor around the screen.  I turned and asked her if I had gotten one of the menus wrong.  She insisted that I had everything right, but kept saying On attend des autres!

Still a bit confused as to why I couldn't find the file name if I had all the menus correct, I heard my classmate T speaking.  "WE'RE GOING TO WAIT FOR EVERYBODY ELSE.  Mother tongue always work, A., mother tongue always works!"

So there you have it folks . . . that's right, On attend des autres means We're waiting for the others.

And for those of you who understand French, here's the clip (plus some) that we watched today:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her, she's so funny!
-Lauren

dsquaredplusjsquared said...

C'est trop drôle - J'aime les blagues informatiques!

Anonymous said...

I love her, she's so funny!
-Lauren