20 May 2010

Just a Little Laugh

A great big MERCI BEAUCOUP to all of you who left me such encouraging comments or emailed . . . Wednesday and today have been better . . . not completely great, but better.  And "better" is always more preferable to "worse," so it's looking up.

But just two quick little chuckles to reward you for persevering through all the ups and downs and foot-in-the-mouth moments that have been my life in French language school:


So I'm changing rooms here at the school.  Because I've decided to stay on here an extra six months, I'm trying to keep things as cost efficient as I can (btw, another huge MERCI BEAUCOUP to the current exchange rate!) so I'm moving into a room that is half the price, but half the size (imagine with me living in half a shoe box!  It's GREAT!!  It's like living inside a hug!).  I went up there to clean it yesterday and move around some of the furniture to utilize the space more efficiently.  Short-story-long, I had put a bookshelf someplace, but after mulling over it all day I decided I didn't like where it was, and so the whole room had to change again.  My friend MB came up to help me move the desk, and while we were discussing my plans, my French friend B came by.  He asked what we were up to and I told him that I had changed my mind about the bookshelf.  But instead of saying J'ai changé mon avis ("I changed my mind")  I told him J'ai changé mon avion ("I changed my airplane")!!  OOPS!!

Then, as I was sending an email to a classmate in franglais (that's half French, half English) my automatic spellcheck kept underlining a word.  Being an award-winning-world's-worst-speller, I went with the natural assumption that I had, in fact, misspelled my word.  Several strokes of backspace and I retyped it . . . red underline again.  Backspaced again and tried another time.  Stupid red line.  Surely third times a charm . . . nope!  Fourth maybe!!  OY!!!  WHY IS THIS LITTLE RED LINE HERE!?!?!?  WHY CAN'T I SPELL PERMANANCE CORRECTLY!?!?!?!  Oh, wait, what's that you say??  Permanance is a French word.  Oh.  Right.  My spellcheck is in English.  Stupid spellcheck.  Stupid red line.  Why can't you be bilingual??

5 comments:

dsquaredplusjsquared said...

I totally agree - Je pense que l'ordinateur besoin d'avoir spell check in plusieurs langues parce que I get them mélangé très souvent.

Bethany said...

i can't imagine your room being smaller... oh my word.

Phil said...

I'm with Bethany, how can it get smaller??

Hilarious about the stupid red line!

dsquaredplusjsquared said...

I totally agree - Je pense que l'ordinateur besoin d'avoir spell check in plusieurs langues parce que I get them mélangé très souvent.

Phil said...

I'm with Bethany, how can it get smaller??

Hilarious about the stupid red line!