30 May 2010

Cortex de Shomp and Zay

I've been going back over the plethora of new vocabulary I discovered at the Neuro seminar on Friday.  I really picked up a significant amount of useful terms such as le perte which means the loss [of] as in le perte du dextérité (loss of dexterity) or le perte du contrôle sélectif des mouvements (loss of selective control of limb movement) aka: syncinésies.  Or tissue conjoncif moins extensible which is really in essence "scar tissue."  And course du mouvement (passif ou actif) which I take to mean "range of motion."

There's the membre inférieur and the membre supérior which are the "lower" and "upper extremities" to Anglophones.  The fléchisseurs are the "flexors" while the extenseurs are the "extensors."


I have quite a long list of words to still look up, despite efforts to understand the meaning from context.  The act of writing words I didn't recognize helped too.  For instance, at one point the Doctor Professor was talking about a research study that involved the Cortex de Shompe en Zay.  I began to roll the words around in my head.  "Okay, I've got cortex but what's shompe en zay??" I began to think through the English terms for the different regions of the brain and came up with nothing that even slightly resembled shompe en zay.  So I decided to write it down and look it up later.  And thankfully I really have learned something in phonetics class, because as soon as I began to write it, the light bulb came on a I wanted to have a good chuckle right there in the midst of the lecture (but not to worry, I refrained myself).

I started with shompe (which I've typed that way to help you Anglophones reading this pronounce it the way I heard it) . . . now there's a very famous street here in Paris, Le Champs Élysées (champs means "field" as in a "field of grass") so I went with that, added a nasal, and ended with a zed and an ooo-accent-a-goo (it's actually E-accent aigu, but again, you'd never have been able to pronounce it if left to your own Anglophonic devices).

Chimpanzé.

That's right . . . "chimpanzee."  He was talking about the graph translations of EEG's and EMG's and BCD's and LMNOP'S of the human cortex as compared to the chimp's cortex before and after lidocaine injections in spastic muscle.  I have to say, it made much more sense once I understood what he was talking about!

No comments: