30 April 2010

It's the Little Things

I just spent two fabulous weeks with my mom.  We had our vacances de printemps the past two weeks, so my mom came out to visit.  We did all sorts of touristy things I never thought I'd do (like go to the summit of La Tour Eiffel and visit Le Louvre . . . I have a fear of heights, so the Eiffel Tower's never been on my list, and the Louvre is always so packed the thought of tout le monde et sa mère being there has always been a turn off . . . but since it's les vacances Paris is unusually empty!!  No lines at all!!  C'était magnifique!



Anyway, my mom got home safely and I'll try to post some good photies of our adventures for you at some point.

But now for the real purpose of this post: when my mom flew out on Wednesday, I stopped at a grocery store that in my everyday life is too far to frequent . . . but their prices are good.  So I stopped to get a few necessities.

Since I had time to kill and I still find the grocery store to be a great language-in-context tool (and I confess, one part of that is wandering around listening to what other customers are saying to each other) I took my time.

And boy, did it pay off!

Tucked in the very back corner of the store is the "international section"  They have Old El Paso products from La Mexique, BP Sauce and tinned Baked Beans and Digestives and Golden Syrup and Skippy Peanut Butter (smooth and chunky . . . in jars that are about 6oz for roughly $7) from Angleterre, Soy Sauce and cans of Coconut Milk and Wasabi Peas from Le Chine and Couscous and all sorts of Halal items from Afrique du Nord.  

Now when I took my mom to Cora, the hypermarché down the street from me (with really inflated prices!), after she saw the nutella aisle, I brought her to see the "international" section . . . very similar to the one I've mentioned above.  But at Cora they now have a sign that says États-Unis (The United States) . . . it marks off a small section of four shelves that are loaded with Pepperidge Farm Big Chunk Cookies . . . they have all kinds of chocolate chips chunkies and maybe even one with macadamia nuts (which come to think of it, might be the only time I've seen macadamia nuts here in France . . . but maybe I just haven't been paying attention).

When I pointed out this chocolate chunk cookie phenomenon to my mom, we laughed, and she said "What?? That's ridiculous!  If they're going to have Pepperidge Farm, they should have good ones, like Milano cookies!" (I'm going to add Chessmen to that list)

So back to the point of my post.  So there I am in the other grocery store that I never go to, feeling a bit homesick now that I've put my mom on a plane (which is still a weird feeling for me), wandering through looking at things labeled Old El Paso, Cadbury's, and Kikoman and feeling very alone . . . when I rounded the corner to go back through again (with no intention of buying . . . just spending a few somber moments with "familiar") when something to my left caught my eye.

It was a small end-of-the-aisle-promotional-section full of Pepperidge Farm hard-as-a-brick-chocolate-chunk-cookies!!  I stood and chuckled to myself, remembering my mother's words: If they're going to have Pepperidge Farm, they should have good ones, like Milano cookies!

And that's when I spotted them.  There they were, mingled in with all the others . . . five bags of mint milano cookies!!

No!  That can't be right!!  This is France!  I've never seen those here before.  I looked again.  It was not a mirage!

I was tempted to purchase all five bags, but I restrained myself and only brought three home with me.  Okay, so by the time I got off the bus it was two and two-thirds.  And I have been sharing them too!

But wow!  I never thought a cookie would cure homesickness!  But hey, it's the little things!

6 comments:

Bobby and Maridith said...

I'm the one who wishes I was there! Your name has come up a couple times in the past 2 days... love and miss you lots! Squeeze SP for me!

Bobby and Maridith said...

I'm the one who wishes I was there. Your name came up last night in mine and Bobby's conversation... and then again this morning. Love and miss you Deb!

Bethany said...

look what God did just for you! so cool...

mb said...

I can testify to her sharing. . .I had one waiting for me on my door handle, and it. was. DELICIOUS! Merci pour ton sauvé (I don't know how to make verbs into nouns yet, but I feel like it's qqch comme ça :] ).

Deborah said...

Who knew that all it took was blogging about cookies to get some comments posted! :)

Maridith . . . tu me manques aussi! BEAUCOUP! Les Cedres ce n'est pas la même chose sans toi! Mais, c'est la vie! (and as the Xhosa's say dans Afrique du Sud: Hamba Gahla!)

Bethany . . . I'm so glad we got to talk last night--FINALLY!

MB . . . si tu voudrais un autre, dis-moi, j'ai plus!

mb said...

I can testify to her sharing. . .I had one waiting for me on my door handle, and it. was. DELICIOUS! Merci pour ton sauvé (I don't know how to make verbs into nouns yet, but I feel like it's qqch comme ça :] ).