18 March 2010

Je Peux Lire!

So I've been trying to read books in French . . . I have been reading Viens, Sois Ma Lumière (Come, Be My Light) by Mother Theresa and picked up a copy of Eldorado by Laurent Gaudé off the freebie table.  It's about two brothers that leave their home in Sudan and try to make it to Europe via Sicily.   I won't tell you what happens . . . you'll have to see if you can find a translation somewhere.


As a listening comprehension exercise I borrowed some books on CD from the library (along with the actual book so that I can read along the second time I listen).  Le Petit Nicolas written by René Goscinny with illustrations by Jean-Jacques Sempé (recently turned into a movie that you must see if and when it's released chez toi--in your country) is the first of a series of very popular books from the late 1950's and 1960's.  The stories are told by Nicolas and consist mainly of the shenanigans of him and his school friends.

The other one I got Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (which is one of the best-selling books of all time as it is translated into 180 languages!) details of which, for the handful of you out there who haven't heard of it, can be found here.

But the real reason for this post is that I have a great story to tell you.  My friend, E, who is in the highest class here had to write a paper or give a presentation or something on a French book she read . . . complete with info on the author.  As we were talking about it, she said she had been able to get the book Oscar et La Dame Rose by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt only in CD format at the library, every time she went someone had already borrowed the print copy, so she wanted to buy a copy.  Today, while I was at the store, I decided to surprise her with a little gift and managed to find a copy!  I left it outside of her door while she was in Paris taking a cooking class at Le Cordon Bleu.  But when she came back, she came into the kitchen with a big smile on her face.  She said "I was going to wait until your birthday to give you this, but under the circumstances . . . ." and she pulled a different copy of Oscar et La Dame Rose from behind her back!  She had been thinking that it was a book that is at my current level and that I would probably enjoy reading it, so she got it for me instead of for herself!  They say it's better to give than receive . . . unless of course you're giving the same exact gift!  Thanks E!  (and your macarons were fabulous!  Can't wait to make some more with you!)

No comments: