11 March 2010

It's Been a Week

It's been a little while since I've written a new post, so there's a bit to fill you in on.  Life has been life, so there's not really been many funny happenings . . . but I'm sure before too long I will put my foot in my mouth and say something worth typing on the blog.

Class has been full of my typical blunders and mispronunciations . . . such as when we had an oral exercise on expressing anger or disappointment, and I said that the hotel's belts were dirty instead of their pillow cases (taille vs taie), which led to a classic game of Guess What the Anglophone Is Trying to Say.


Each week there are four of us from my class who compete in a little home-made International Verb Conjugation Competition.  H. from the UK, J. from the US, K. from Oz, and myself study four or five verbs (the first time around was NINE . . . which I lost . . . big time) and complete seven different conjugations for each verb.  The person who makes the most mistakes has to faire les biscuits (make cookies) for the others.  Since I lost the first week, I made Cranberry White Chocolate Shortbread cookies that were incroyable!!  I'm half tempted to loose this week as I've found some recipes for macarons that I really want to try.

When I was in the airport a few weeks ago I picked up a copy of the French translation of Mother Teresa's Come Be My Light (Viens Sois Ma Lumière) so I've been reading that trying to learn vocab from context rather than just the dictionary.  Parts of it are slow, but Mère Teresa was one wise woman!  One of my favorite quotes so far is:
S'Il veut que j'y aille--je suis prête--mais seulement à condition que cela Le rende vraiment heureux.  J'ai besoin de beaucoup de grâce, de beaucoup de la force du Christ pour persévérer dans la confiance, dans cet amour aveugle qui ne conduit qu'à Jésus Crucifié.  
(If He wants me to go there--I am ready--but only on the condition that it makes Him truly happy.  I need a lot of grace, and a lot of strength from Christ to persevere in the faith, in this blind love which leads only to Christ Crucified.)
De temps en temps, old friends end up passing through Paris for a few days and it often works out for us to meet up for a cup of coffee or something.  This week that happened TWICE!  Wednesday I met up with S. and A-Lowe (left) who I know from undergrad at Cedarville.  Saturday I was able to have an AMAZING cup of chocolat chaud with a colleague from my Temple days, J., and her mom at Angelina's, a Paris favorite for most visitors. 
 S., A-Lowe and I finished our soirée at La Tour Eiffel, which I never get tired of seeing at night.  Starting at eight o'clock every night, she glitters.  It's stunning.  Enjoy.

Every first Sunday of the Month, certain monuments and museums are free for the public.  This past Sunday was the last month until September or October that the bell tower of Notre Dame was going to be free, so I went went with two of my friends from the UK, S-P and H.  The view was great, but the side of the cathedral where we had to wait for over an hour felt like a wind tunnel!  By the time we got in to climb the stone steps, our toes were little icicles.  We were thoroughly entertained by a street performer (right, in the blue coat) who did a great improv comedy act . . . while he did serve to distract us from the cold a bit, he was unable to melt our frozen appendages.

The view of Paris from the top was remarkable.  It was a beautiful day!  I'll close here with a quick little tour of Paris sur la Notre Dame.

2 comments:

Phil said...

This was an excellent post Deb! Kind of a "day in the life of" feel to it. Brought me back to the amazing times we had while there. Seeing Paris bathed in REAL sunlight under a canopy of blue sky was unusual though.

Favorite quote of the post: "Guess What the Anglophone Is Trying to Say". Definitely 'lol' on that one!

Phil said...

This was an excellent post Deb! Kind of a "day in the life of" feel to it. Brought me back to the amazing times we had while there. Seeing Paris bathed in REAL sunlight under a canopy of blue sky was unusual though.

Favorite quote of the post: "Guess What the Anglophone Is Trying to Say". Definitely 'lol' on that one!