02 March 2010

Sometime the NYTimes Gets It Right

A friend just sent me this article from Sunday's New York Times.  I couldn't help but comment and thank the author for his recognition of the compassion of the Church.  I am not typically one to leave comments on news articles, in fact, I think this is my first one, but as I read through the other comments, I found very few from evangelicals, and felt it was important to speak up. 

Read the article (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/opinion/28kristof.html) , read my response (below), and feel free to let me know what you think (it is possible to comment anonymously without needing a blogger.com account).



Mr. Kristoff, I would like to thank you. I am one of these evangelical missionaries you have written about who left the pew to get my hands dirty in Africa. For years, as my more liberal-voting friends and colleagues spent their holidays at a resort in the Caribbean or a five star hotel in London, I packed my bags to spend my vacation time working with street kids in New Delhi or AIDS orphans in Durban. When I am asked by a stranger on a plane why, as a young single woman, I would give up a stable career and good income, leaving behind my family and friends, to live at the edge of the Sahara to build prosthetic legs from PVC piping, the answer is easy: this is what Jesus asks of His disciples. The Bible may have some gray areas that theologians love to debate, but one thing that is clear: God the Father has a soft spot in His heart for the poor, the sick, the oppressed, the vulnerable, and the outcasts. Thank you for drawing attention to the reality that while Christianity has opinionated vocal extremists that result in bad press, there are many more of us who have chosen to live our lives in a way that tangibly demonstrates the compassion of Christ. We can only hope that the pews of America's churches will be filled with would-be Polish nuns.

2 comments:

AngelaMichelle said...

Refreshing article! I read throught the first page of comments - there are a lot more like yours starting to crop up.

AngelaMichelle said...

Refreshing article! I read throught the first page of comments - there are a lot more like yours starting to crop up.