01 March 2010

Back in the Saddle . . . or Something Like That

Well, I'm back in France.

It's only been a week off . . . nothing really . . . call it an extended long-weekend, with two transatlantic flights four days apart.

You know that feeling you get when you go on a trip, and you make a packing list, and you check it a few times, but there's still that nagging feeling that you've forgotten something.  And that feeling stays with you until all of a sudden, at the moment you need whatever it is the most, you remember what it is that you left behind and you can picture it sitting right where you last put it.


Yeah, that happened to me this morning in class.

Only it wasn't something tangible, like my passport, or my  visa card, or even clean socks.  No . . . as I sat in class today, listening to my professor, I thought to myself, Why is she speaking Chinese?  Or is that Swahili?  Or maybe Farsi??  And that's the moment the nagging feeling left me.  I realized what I had forgotten to bring back with me from the US: THE FRENCH LANGUAGE!

All day I've felt like I've lost everything I've spent the past six months learning.  Or maybe they confiscated it at customs in DC . . . was I supposed to declare it??  Or maybe someone stole it out of my carry-on . . . by why wouldn't they take my camera too??  Or maybe it fell out of my head when my mom tried to throw me from her golfcart (they really should put seatbelts in those things)!!

Well, whatever it is, the French language has abandoned ship and taken up residence in someone else's head! Oy.  Quel dommage!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is bethany and i think you are hilarious!! =) how i wish i could come see you again. oh, this summer... you can come see ME!!

Anonymous said...

this is bethany and i think you are hilarious!! =) how i wish i could come see you again. oh, this summer... you can come see ME!!