14 February 2010

Your Questions, Answered

You've asked some great questions, and now I've answered.  I'm going to need to do a bit of research on a few in order to answer efficiently.  But in the meantime, keep the questions coming!


How do the French feel about francophone Canadians?

My impression is that the French consider francophone Canadians to have their own accent and culture, and are therefore very different from francophone French  (kind of like how many of my British friends consider American English to be a dialect, not just a different accent). In maps of the Francophone World, all of Canada is included, so the French seem very content to be able to encompass as much territory as possible, so long as very distinct cultural differences are noted.


We actually just had an activity in our text book that was a dialogue between a Parisian and a Quebecois . . . all about the differences between the manner of speech in each country (things comme: for a French-Canadian, a blonde is the same thing as a Frenchman's petite amie . . . or a girlfriend; likewise there's a chum and a petit ami both mean boyfriend


When was the last time your delinquent friend Franny contacted you? If you can't remember, it means she's a shmuck and it's been too long.

I only have one friend that I call Franny . . . and she is NO delinquent, just busy!! And she sends GREAT packages in the mail!! And when we do finally chat, she listens to my very LONG stories without interrupting or rushing me. (LOVE YOU FRANNY!! Thanks for leaving me a note!)  

When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An actress. And a doctor. And a marine biologist. And physical therapist. And a photojournalist. And I'm sure at one point I even wanted to be president. But now, when I grow up I want to own a bed an breakfast.

What's one food you'll never eat again?

Andouille de Guéméné. It's a 'sausage' specific to the Bretagne region of France . . . it's rolled up pork intestines. Has the texture of rubber bands and the taste of--I don't think I can say that here, children may read this.

What is your favorite spot in France?

So far I will have to say it's a toss up . . . a quiet café with a friend, a coffee, and good conversation (or alone with a good book); or walking between Le Louvre and La Tour Eiffel at night. 

What's the best gift you've ever given?

Oh, this is hard. The best gift I've received is MUCH easier.

The first that comes to mind is more of a category (but I can give specific examples) . . . bringing things from home to friends that live overseas. For example, bringing chips and salsa to South Africa and peanut butter and chocolate chips to Niger and India and China (hmm . . . I see a pattern).



(and since I wrote this, I am going to have to add one.  There's a new family here at Les Cedres from Alaska.  I babysat their little boy, O., a few weeks back . . . he is such a precious kid!  Every night at bedtime, they read O. the story Mr. Bump.  He loves it!  Well, last week was his birthday and yesterday they had a little party for him.  I went to the store to find him a coloring book or some other little gift, and I found a display of all of the Mr. Men and Little Miss collection translated into French!  And sure enough, there, hidden behind all the others, was Monsieur Malchance!  When O. opened it he saw the back cover first and yelled "MISTER BUMP!"  Little boy's favorite book translated into French . . . yeah, I think that's a good gift.)


Who's that really really ridiculously good looking Australian guy who speaks French like a native at your school?

I'm not sure whom this question is referring to. We do have an Aussie guy here . . . but I'm hitting a blank with: "ridiculously good looking" and "speaks French like a native." Some would say that characterizes his wife . . . but PierreTheRockStar?? No. No guy that fits that description here!

2 comments:

Lauren Valentine said...

It's been a long time, but this made me think of all the coffee and good conversations we had back in the day...and I miss you. Sigh. When you have a bed and breakfast I'll come visit you, bring you socks, and we'll have coffee and lots of catching up to do.

David said...

Ha ha! Liked your comments about Quebecois French. The first time I heard "ma blonde" used in a sentence by someone I busted out laughing.