25 January 2010

Point d'Interrogation

In phonetiques class today, my prof made us do a dictation.  I hate dictations.  Especially when the prof speaks quickly and uses random sentences instead of a flowing story.

Today, she had one student write the sentences on the board while the rest of us wrote on our papers.


First sentence.  I wrote:
Son jour point d'interrogation c'est encore trop long.
The guy at the board wrote:
Cent jours? C'est encore trop long.
I then thought to myself:  "Crap!  How did I get son jour from Cent jours??  Well, at least I got the second part right!!  Wait . . . he left out two words.  And what's with the question mark??"  Granted, my sentence didn't make any sense, but hey, I know what I heard.

Attends, pourquoi cette chose est là?? (Wait . . . why is that thing there??) I said pointing to the question mark.  My prof looked quizzically at me.  Le point d'interrogation?  She asked.  Oh.  I said, with a moment of illumination, and quietly picked up my white out tape.  As I nonchalantly (or so I thought) wiped it the length of my paper, the entire class erupted into laughter.  Turns out I was the only one who wrote out the words for question mark instead of the ? symbol.  Que-ce que vous avez écrit Déborah?  (Deborah, what did you write?)  Oh, rien. (Oh, nothing.)  But I think all the laughter gave me away.

2 comments:

Tobias said...

I loved that story - hilarious! :D
And btw: I really enjoy reading all the stuff you experience in France. I miss Paris soo much, and I'll manage to come there in spring this year. And after that, I'll start my OT-studies...
May God bless you & give you lots of funny french classes! :)

Tobias said...

I loved that story - hilarious! :D
And btw: I really enjoy reading all the stuff you experience in France. I miss Paris soo much, and I'll manage to come there in spring this year. And after that, I'll start my OT-studies...
May God bless you & give you lots of funny french classes! :)