11 January 2010

L'Imparfait and Le Futur Simple and Le Subjunctif . . . OH MY!

Last week we learned a new tense, l'imparfait.  It is a past-tense, we already know la passé composé, another past-tense that uses the verb avoir (to have).  There are rules for the implication of both.  I can tell you what they are . . . but applying those rules and getting the proper result has yet to be accomplished.  A professor just explained the difference to me comme ça: En Anglais (I love when they say "En Anglais" because I know the likelihood of confusion will be limited) avec la passé composé you say "it has happened." Avec l'imparfait  you say "it was happening."  (I love when the lightbulb turns on!  Now, hopefully it will stay on!)

This morning we had a test, and then began to explore a new future tense, le futur simple.  We know le futur proche already.  It uses the verb aller (to go).  And by the end of the week we will learn le subjunctif a tense that expresses what one hopes or wishes will happen.  Since I'm still wrestling with l'imparfait and we are moving at a much quicker pace (with increased intensity) than last semester, I forsee this week to be little more than locking myself in my room with my books.  Stay tuned for much anticipated mental-health-blogging!

2 comments:

M.S. said...

Yeah, I'm a month ahead of you and I still can't remember how to form all three of those 'new' tenses. It's a very poor decision on the textbook's part to put all of them together like that. I hope you have a better go at it than me. Bon courage!!

M.S. said...

Yeah, I'm a month ahead of you and I still can't remember how to form all three of those 'new' tenses. It's a very poor decision on the textbook's part to put all of them together like that. I hope you have a better go at it than me. Bon courage!!