01 January 2010

Ending the Decade with a Mistaken Success

Bonne Année!  Happy 2010.  (That feels wierd to write.)

Well, the new students have been arriving over the past few days.  The foyée is filled with kids (all three new couples brought some with them) so there are lots of little people struggling to adjust to the time change and new surroundings.  Since last night was New Years and with so many new folks coming in not knowing which end was up, let alone how to celebrate, I organized a petite soirée at the school for those of us living here as well as those living off campus that felt like swinging by.  (Here's to community building!)

I decided to make another (secret recipe, so don't ask) cheese cake since I had to buy more Kiri squares than I needed.  After unwrapping the 50 squares, I proceeded to make my cheese cake.  The school staff was back at work, so there were many people in and out of the kitchen all morning.  Que-ce que c'est? (What's that?) Un gâteau du fromage (A cake of cheese.)  Un gâteau du fromage?? (A cake of cheese??)  Oui.  C'est une specialité de New York.  (Yup, it's an NYC speciality.)  They were intrigued . . . how bizaire!

I finished the batter and put the cake in the oven.  45 minutes (and three burned fingers) later the cake was done.  I turned off the oven, left the door ajar, and went on my way to FranPrix to pick up a few things for the soirée.  While I was wondering down the aisle, I saw creme fraiche (the closest thing here to sour cream) on the refrigerated shelf.  Oh, I have a tub of creme fraiche in my friggo at home . . . I HAVE A TUB OF CREME FRAISE IN MY FRIGGO AT HOME . . . but why was it still in the friggo??  It's supposed to be IN THE CAKE! 

Oh no.  OH NO.  OH NO. OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

My heart sunk.  My perfect-cheese-cake-running-streak was over before it even began!!  I started to laugh.  C'est ma vie! (This is my life!)  I couldn't believe it.  I texted a friend because I had to tell somebody and I didn't think I could explain the story in French to the strangers in the aisle who were already wondering if the laughing-at-seemingly-nothing chick needed to be committed (and besides, I'm Short-Story-Long-Girl, it's my superhero power, and since I can't do that in French, why try!). 

I walked home, trying to maintain a good attitude: Well, maybe it will be fine . . . I mean it's not the most important ingredient . . . after all, the cream cheese is in there . . . and the . . . and the . . . (and you thought I'd give away the secret . . . NOT A CHANCE!) . . . and the lemon juice . . . and--the lemon juice . . . THE LEMON JUICE . . . THE LEMON JUICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Double whammy.

I walked home, hanging my head in defeat.  It was ruined50 Kiri squares paid for and unwrapped in vain. How could this happen??  I began retracing the morning . . . all the distractions of explaining the greatness of the gâteau du fromage must have deviated my mind from the flow.  All those people tonight, and now what??  (This is a big deal for a card-carrying member of The People Pleaser's Club . . . what if no one likes it!!!)  I couldn't handle the pressure.  Surely there is a way to fix this!

Google is my new best friend.  My quick search for "lemon cheesecake topping" yielded an easy lemon-curd-like recipe (Delicious Lemon Topping Sauce . . . there, I've shared something with you, so give it up, I'm not handing over the secret cheese cake recipe!!).  I went back to the kitchen and whipped up a batch, let it cool, and dumped it on top.

I am happy to say, that while I knew how absolutely amazing the cheese cake is supposed to be, tout le monde was none the wiser and it was almost all gone by the end of the evening.  I heard quite a bit of "That was amazing, and I'm not a cheese cake person."  I'll take that as a victoire . . . but technically since it wasn't yet midnight, it'll still make last years taxes.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Every cheesecake needs it's picture taken...what happened? :) I've had a rash of these types of incidents recently but unfortunately my productions have turned out a little less edible...glad yours was well received!

Beth said...

Every cheesecake needs it's picture taken...what happened? :) I've had a rash of these types of incidents recently but unfortunately my productions have turned out a little less edible...glad yours was well received!