12 January 2010

The Belle Fort

Today is your lucky day!  Your patience is being rewarded . . . I have a funny story for you.  Yes, another chapter in the Stupid Things Deb. Did In Class tome.

Every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon our classes focus on Oral and Written Expression and Comprehension (that's our ability to read, write, speak and listen).  Today, mon professeur started things off with a dictation exercize.  I typically don't start off too well when we take dictations, but once my ears have a chance to warm up and they get in synch with my right hand, I do pas mal (not bad).


He started off by writing a list of the five major cities on the east side of France up on the board: Metz, Nancy, Belfort, Dijon, Besançon.  He read.  We wrote whatever we heard.

As we were nearing the end I was in the flow . . .
Et tu sais, à Nancy, au lieu de prendre l'autoroute vers Dijon, j'ai pris la nationale vers belle fort.
"Belle fort??" I thought.  Hmmm.  That's strange.  Belle is feminine but fort is masculine.  This doesn't make sense!!  Belle fort???  J'ai pris la nationale vers belle fort.  I took the highway near beautiful strong???  THAT CAN'T BE RIGHT!!!!  Hmmm . . . I laughed out loud.  BELFORT . . . THE NAME OF THE CITY!!!  HA!! 

I think my prof was hoping someone would make that error because he pounced on the moment and began laughing with me.  Ah, la langue française!

(Okay, so I've been thinking for a while that it would be good practice for me to try writing some of these blog posts in French also.  A friend who was here last semester just asked me about the story, so I wrote it out for her in French.  Might as well post it.  No guarantee the spelling or grammar are correct, so if you are a Francophone, feel free to corriger.)

Mon prof nous a demandé à faire une dicta dans l'après-midi classe, aujourd'hui. À la commencement, il a écrit les noms de cinq ville à l'est de la France (Nancy, Dijon, Belfort, Metz, et Besançon). Il nous a dit une petite histoire et nous avons écrit tout le chose que nous avons éntendu. Nous avons écrit beaucoup, et très vite . . . jusqu'à il dit cette phrase:
Et tu sais, à Nancy, au lieu de prendre l'autoroute vers Dijon, j'ai pris la nationale vers belle fort.
"Attends," j'ai pensé . . . "ce n'est pas correcte. 'Belle' est FEMINAN, mais 'fort' est MASCULAN . . . hmmm . . . pourqoui??" Donc, je lui ai demandé que il peux lire cette phrase encore. Mais j'ai éntendu la même chose . . . "belle fort."

Il peux voir que j'ai eu beaucoup de confusion et il m'a souri. Mais, à cette moment, ma tête était lumière!!! "OH!!! Ce n'est pas 'belle et fort' c'est 'Belfort . . . la ville!!!" J'ai ri très forte et mon prof a ri aussi. Mais, pour moi, cette moments sont très typique!!

No comments: