07 December 2009

Nothing Funny Today

Actually, I'm sure if I step back and think about it hard enough I will find something from today that was funny.  But was just sitting here working on a personal study (that I've actually been doing off and on for several months now) on an aspect of the character of Jesus that I really love . . . His willingness to get His hands dirty.  Literally.  A while back I was taking a course on Christianity and Health Care, and we did a case-study on the woman from Mark 5 who had been bleeding for 12 years.  I began to wonder how many times (that have been recorded in the Gospels) Jesus willingly put Himself in a position to become unclean as according to the Levitical laws that the Pharisees and religious leaders of His day were enforcing.

I'm finding it fascinating to read portions of Leviticus along with the account of Jesus that we find in the New Testament (I know what you're thinking . . . Deb. the French is messing with your head!!  Leviticus??  REALLY??) . . . anyway, I'm not done with my study, so if and when I do, I will be sure to fill you in. 

But as I'm sitting here taking a mental break from all the French, I'm listening to a mix of some of my favorite music.  I have been listening to I Surrender All on repeat for about half an hour now.  What a concept.  Surrender.  I have been learning a lot about surrender recently.  When experiencing a new language and culture there are a lot of things completely out of my control.  But I like control.  In fact, I LOVE control.  Control, je t'aime!  But as a disciple of Jesus, living today, I am not called to control, I am called to surrender. 

One of my most favorite conversations in the Bible is from Job 38:2-5 & 42:2-6.  Job has been up to his knees in bad advice from his nearest and dearest, and he's in so much agony he's getting a bit desperate. But as we learn later, he was still found righteous throughout his questioning and searching and struggling.
(God to Job) Who is this that darkens counsel by words without knowledge? Now gird up your loins like a man, and I will ask you and you instruct Me! Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth? Tell Me if you have understanding. Who set its measurements? Since you know. Or who stretched the line on it? (Job to God) I know that You can do all things. And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted. 'Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?' Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand, things too wonderful for me which I did not know . . . I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear; but now MY EYE SEES YOU; therefore I retract and I repent.
I love this!  God says to Job: Yo, who do you think you are? Where were you when I . . . .  And really all Job can say is: Uh, You're right God . . . my bad.  I've got nothing. 

I love that: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I LAID THE FOUNDATIONS OF THE EARTH?  So if that was true for Job, back before the time of the great patriarch Abraham, surely it's true for me.  WHERE WAS DEB.??  Exactly. 

So, here I am, in the southern suburbs of Paris, learning some much needed French, so that I can head off to a place that typically doesn't even make it onto the map.  Because I come from the school of thought that God can use anything to bring Himself glory . . . in my case it's the process of surrender, taking my skills as an OT to help bring healing those in the desert (or at least at the edge of it).  To God be the glory.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is Bethany. just telling you that I LOVE YOU!

Anonymous said...

this is Bethany. just telling you that I LOVE YOU!