19 December 2009

Le Corps Humain

I ventured back to the library last night.  My new favorite thing about France: no late fees at the library!  God bless 'em! 

My partner in crime, SP, wandered around with me, searching for new books.  The first shelf was teenage romance novels . . . way over my head.  I turned around.  Ah ha!  Picture books.  "This is what I need!"  SP responded "English books??" It was the Anglais section . . . right next to books in Espagnol and Allemand.  Ooops!

As I wandered through the shelves, I found lots of books on the anatomy and physiology of the human body!  Parfait!  But the best find was L'Encyclopédie Visuelle Bilingue LE CORPS HUMAIN (The Bilingual Visual Encylopedia of the Human Body)!!!

I checked the book out (along with one on the sensory system and another on the circulatory system) . . . without event this time.  As I searched through this gem I found, I began to feel really overwhelmed.  Over my seven years of post-high school education, I have taken two anatomy classes (one complete with cadaver lab), kinesiology, biomechanics, neuroanatomy (that lab was fun too), and even classes specfic to injuries and rehab of each region of the body.  If there's one thing I know, it's human anatomy. . . IN ENGLISH.

Being a lousy memorizer by nature, this knowledge I have of terms has come from almost 10 years of repetition and use.  But now, I have to learn the same terms I know, but IN FRENCH . . . and that's when it hit me . . . and for some of the terms, IN HAUSA TOO!  AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!    

I've always been better with pictures than words, so for every anatomy-related class, I would spend hours sketching the bones, muscles, ligaments, systems, etc (my grad school notes are even color-coordinated to match Dr.FrankNetter's paintings).  So I guess it's time to dust off the old sketch book and sharpen my pencils. 

Some of the terms are the same (ribosome), others are similar (crête mitochondriale -- mitochondrial christa), but so many are are night-and-day different (épaule -- shoulder, or rachis -- spine, apophyse odontoïde -- dens, aileron du sacrum -- ala, ligament de Bertin -- iliofemoral ligament, os spongieux -- cancellous bone, tête -- head, fossette du ligament rond -- fovea, col -- neck, diaphyse -- shaft . . . you get the idea).  And then there's the wonderful world of pronounciation!

Merci Seigneur for this great opportunity to study the complexly fantastic human body You created!  AIDE-MOI! (HELP ME!)  Ni par la force, ni par la puissance, mais c'est par Mon Ésprit, dit le Seigneur! Zacharie 4:6 (Zecharia 4:6, Not by might, nor by power, but by My Spirit, says the Lord).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oy vey! does that sound French????
xoxox Mom