29 December 2009

French Culture 101: TV

I haven't watched much TV since I've been here.  It's still really hard for me to understand, so I don't find it entertaining or relaxing.  While they have many of their own shows, they also like to watch American and British TV dubbed over in French.

Some shows maintain the same title: Friends, Dallas, and Smallville
Others change just slightly: House, MD is Dr. House, The Sopranos is Les Soprano, and  The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is Le Prince de Bel-Air.
Some are direct translation from English: Everybody Loves Raymond is Tout le Monde Aime Raymond.

But my favorites are the ones they change:
CSI is Les Experts (literally: The Experts)
ER is Urgences (literally: Emergency)
Third Watch becomes New York 911
The Wire is  Sur Écoute (literally: Taping)
Without a Trace is FBI: Portés Disparus (literally: Missing)
One Tree Hill is Les Frères Scott (literally: The Scott Brothers)
West Wing is À la Maison Blance (literally: At the White House)
The Dukes of Hazzard is Shérif, Fais-Moi Peur! (translates to "Sheriff Hazzard," but is litterally: Sheriff, make me scared!)
Full House is La Fête À La Maison (literally The Party at the House)
Carnivale is La Caravane de l'Etrange (literally The Caravan of the Strange)

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Heya,
I love your blog, just felt I had to tell you. My name's Rachel, I am a student in Scotland at the moment, but with a big heart for mission. I have a bit of a habit of finding 'missionary' blogs and reading them right from the beginning, and I guess you got lucky, so I thought I would drop you a comment. It's been great following your journey, and your stories are fun. It's great that you are taking the plunge to go all the way to Africa, I can't wait till I am given the opportunity to go back. I know it can be really hard, but you are in the best possible company with God. I don't know what to say now without being really cheesy, but keep up the good work :)
Rachel x

Deborah said...

Rachel, I'm Deb. Nice to "meet" you. Thanks for not only stopping by, but for the encouragement too!

Sounds like you may be headed in a similar direction someday too. Press on, sister!

Thanks again for reading and responding!

Rachel said...

Heya,
I love your blog, just felt I had to tell you. My name's Rachel, I am a student in Scotland at the moment, but with a big heart for mission. I have a bit of a habit of finding 'missionary' blogs and reading them right from the beginning, and I guess you got lucky, so I thought I would drop you a comment. It's been great following your journey, and your stories are fun. It's great that you are taking the plunge to go all the way to Africa, I can't wait till I am given the opportunity to go back. I know it can be really hard, but you are in the best possible company with God. I don't know what to say now without being really cheesy, but keep up the good work :)
Rachel x

Deborah said...

Rachel, I'm Deb. Nice to "meet" you. Thanks for not only stopping by, but for the encouragement too!

Sounds like you may be headed in a similar direction someday too. Press on, sister!

Thanks again for reading and responding!