30 November 2009

Making It Up As I Go Along

Sometimes I don't know specific words in French.  Sometimes I am able to reconstruct sentences so that I can make my point without needing the specific French words I don't know.  Other times, I just throw in an English word said in French accent, hoping no one will notice. 

Today, during Biblical French class, we were all broken up into groups and given a few verses from the Bible which we then had to read to the class and explain the vocab (which we looked up last week) without using English.  The first group went and there were many words I didn't know . . . my classmates used word pictures and even charades to get the point across.  Sometimes it helped, other times, not so much.  There was one word that I thought I knew, so I made a sentence using the word, then stated: Je vous demande seulement pour clarification (I asked you only for clarification, pronounced: cla-ree-fee-kay-see-onnnnn). 

Thinking no one would notice the little bit of Franglais thrown in there, I sat confidently, expecting a smooth transition to the next group.  THAT'S NOT A FRENCH WORD, YOU MADE THAT UP!!  I heard one of my classmates say.  CAUGHT!!  Guilty as charged!!  The secret was out . . . I make things up as I go along and hope no one will notice.  He searched the dictionary, and sure enough: NOPE!  IT'S NOT IN HERE!  IT'S NOT A REAL WORD!!!! 

We laughed so hard I needed my inhaler.

Shortly thereafter, it was my group's turn to go.  Jesus Washes His Disciples Feet (John 13:4&5).  Since I had the list of words, my group left me to do most of the talking.  Oy.  Explaining words like "bowl" and "towel" and even "grip" aren't too difficult . . . but explaining "And Jesus removed His outer garments and took care to make sure that everything was properly prepared before He knelt down to was their feet" can be a little bit tricky . . . in French.  Yeah.  That was fun (once again, I not-so-willingly stepped into my role of class entertainer).

2 comments:

Beth said...

Deb,

This is so stinking funny...I love reading your "misadventures."

Beth said...

Deb,

This is so stinking funny...I love reading your "misadventures."