20 September 2009

You Know You're a Linguist When . . .

Yesterday was Saturday.  I decided to forgo the studying and get lost with my camera in Paris.  So I pulled out the guidebook to see which direction to head first.  I found Cemitère du Père Lachaise.  It's the most prestigious cemetery in Paris.  It holds bragging rights to the remains of Simone Signorett & Yves Montand (they were a big time movie couple back in the day), Oscar Wilde, Molière, Edith Piaf, Jim Morrison--lead singer of The Doors, and Victor Noir.

Figuring it would be an interesting subject for my camera, I made my way there.  While on the train I overheard some folks talking a few seats away from me.  For some reason I was particularly drawn to their conversation . . . as I strained to hear them I realized that I could understand what they were saying!!  I wanted to jump out of my seat and shout HALLELUJAH!!  I'M GETTING IT!!!  Thankfully I hesitated with my jubilant display of victory . . . because in that moment it occured to me . . . they were speaking in English.

When you're all done laughing at me, here are some photos from the cemetrery.  Enjoy.
 
 
                
   

4 comments:

Joy Harper said...

I had to laugh at your linguistic error--too funny!! I am glad to find this blog. My husband and I were in Niger for 2 years, and our 3rd child was born in the Galmi hospital! I will follow your progress with great interest!
We didn't go to school to learn French since we were short termers. My husband Truitt was a pilot there for 2 years. We lived in Niamey, but went to Galmi for the birth of the baby.
Hang in there!
Joy Harper

drkeith said...

Hey Deb, enjoying your blog. A friend of mine from my church once wrote a song called "Jim Morrison's Grave". It came up not long ago and some other friends and I then had a discussion of where we thought it was. Now I know the answer!

drkeith said...

Hey Deb, enjoying your blog. A friend of mine from my church once wrote a song called "Jim Morrison's Grave". It came up not long ago and some other friends and I then had a discussion of where we thought it was. Now I know the answer!

Joy Harper said...

I had to laugh at your linguistic error--too funny!! I am glad to find this blog. My husband and I were in Niger for 2 years, and our 3rd child was born in the Galmi hospital! I will follow your progress with great interest!
We didn't go to school to learn French since we were short termers. My husband Truitt was a pilot there for 2 years. We lived in Niamey, but went to Galmi for the birth of the baby.
Hang in there!
Joy Harper