13 September 2009

Je suis Ergotherapeute

For these first two weeks, I've been trying to explain to people here what an Occupational Therapist is. The closest title they have given me is Kine (Physical Therapist) . . . but I'm not a Kine anymore!!!! I (finally) went online to the World Federation of Occupational Therapists (http://www.wfot.org/) and looked up the French site. Sure enough, I'm an Ergotherapeute (minus two accents). I've found all kinds of wonderful information about Ergotherapie and how its done (and said) here in France. There's also two publications from the Association Nationale Francaise des Ergotheraputes that I've written away for! So, if you're feeling adventurous check out http://www.anfe.fr/.



Yesterday, while in the post office (of all places), I found two great resources: one is a petite guide . . . a fold-out laminated booklet that is all about the human body! It breaks down the cell (la cellule), the 5 senses (les cinq sens), the heart (le coeur), the kidneys (les reins), the eye (la vue), the ear (l'ouie), and the liver (le foie). It's quite fascinating. Many of the parts are labeled similarly, but many are completely different terms as well. I also found a large chart of the major muscles of the body!!!

I'm going to give you a test . . . lets see how many of the muscles you can get:
1. deltoide
2. brachial anterieur
3. rhomboide
4. trapeze
5. long abducteur du pouce
6. triceps sural (soleaire)
7. semi-membraneux
8. semi-tendineux
9. grand fessier
10. peaucier du cou

2 comments:

karen said...

DEBBB!!!! I wonder...what is your name in french? You want someone to name all those muscles eh? I shall try...deltoid, anterior brachial, rhomboid, trapezious, soleus? triceps? Achilles tendon? does number 9 have something to do with the hips? Ok maybe I'm way off :) Oh what is your address in Paris? Kind of need to know if Char and I are going to visit!

karen said...

DEBBB!!!! I wonder...what is your name in french? You want someone to name all those muscles eh? I shall try...deltoid, anterior brachial, rhomboid, trapezious, soleus? triceps? Achilles tendon? does number 9 have something to do with the hips? Ok maybe I'm way off :) Oh what is your address in Paris? Kind of need to know if Char and I are going to visit!