10 September 2008

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

My bags are packed
I'm ready to go. . . .

I'm leaving on a jet plane -- UH, HOPEFULLY!

My time here at Galmi is up, for now. The plan is that I'll be back here to stay for 3 years starting in 2010. But I'm learning the truth of Proverbs 16:9, In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps. I am scheduled to leave Galmi around 2pm for a quick hour and a half flight back to Niamey. But if it rains, the plane can't fly or land on our dirt runway.


We went a week without rain, then Monday night there was massive down pour, with plenty more Tuesday morning. So I quickly enlisted the troops (that would be my weekly prayer teams) as my alternative mode of transportation to the capital is bus -- but much of the road between here and there has been washed out from the rain (there's one place where they had to drop a shipping container into the hole in order to temporarily "fix" the road!) so the buses have been breaking down (and that's not just "oops, we ran out of oil" but "oops, the front axle just snapped in two"). This results in a 15+ hour bus trip (normally is about 7, if everything runs smoothly).



I've heard back from so many that you are praying out there . . . WHAT A BLESSING! And by 3pm it was hot and sunny and the roads were starting to dry. I was walking back to my house last night, praying "Oh, thank you God! You've taken care of this already!" But the Lord knows that I have trouble when it comes to the ambiguity of plans (see, I have a train ticket to take me from NYC to Albany, NY on Thursday after I land in JFK, and I'm scheduled to share at a church on Sunday morning, and I'm supposed to have 5 days with my niece in New York before I head home). So when I woke up this morning and it was cool and windy (which is a blessing when you live in such a hot place) all I could think was "Lord, if this is what it takes so that I finally I can learn this lesson!"

[The phone rang as I was typing that sentance . . . it was Auntie Cindy -- wife of the team leader here at Galmi. "Deb., James just heard from Ed, there's a storm coming, but he's going to drive to the airport to look at the doplar and see if where it is. He will phone again at quarter to 8. You need to be ready if we have to run out the door." I shut off the computer, and ran to double check to make sure everything was done. Five minutes later, Cindy was at the door. She did a few dishes while I filled out my expense report; then we prayed. The phone rang, it was James -- Ed, the pilot, has decided he can fly this afternoon."]

But that doesn't guarantee anything. But the sun is now peaking through the clouds . . . the wind has stopped . . . and the temperature is already going up. All good signs.

And God is still good. He never stopped being good, nor will He. And if I end up broken down on the side of the road, missing my flight home, there would be a reason. And He would still be in control. Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

Even when I go gray, He will sustain me! I am He. What a promise before a long journey!!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

I went home and cried in my pillow...you have captured our hearts!
Let us know how the rest of the journey went...
You are loved...
hugs...
p.s. Wear the outfit this Sunday, and take the peepot!! :)