28 August 2008

Power Outages, Running Toilets, and Makeshift Palm-Protectors

And now the power's out. Which means no more fan. Which means I'm dripping in sweat as I write this. I should be up at the hospital, but I have a low-grade fever (apparently there's a bit of a flu going around . . . two days of fever, fatigue, and aching) so I've been instructed to rest.

My toilet has been running all day. Seems the stopper in the tank wasn't sealing. So, like any good I'm -going-to-survive-at-Galmi-if-its-the-last-thing-I-do prefielder, I unscrewed the flusher (they're on the top of the tank here), lifted the lid, and (thankfully there was nothing abnormally gross inside . . . or I may have run out my flat shrieking "GOD WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME TO DO THIS?!?!? HA! I can handle burn care, but when it comes to things growing in a toilet tank, I'm helpless) wait . . . where was I. Oh, yes, I fiddled with thingy inside, and suddenly, the water in the bowl stopped running and the tank was actually filling. I DID IT!!! My very first do-it-yourself-plumbing-job-in-Africa.

I replaced the lid, screwed the flusher knob back on, and voila! Wait . . . WHAT'S THAT?!?!?! WATER RUNNING!?!?! Somehow I managed to loosen the seal when I screwed it back on!! OY! So, Plan B: turn off the water source and call the maintanance man . . . or at least mention it to some who knows Hausa and can call the shop to send a workman around. He had it fixed in about a minute and a half. So much for being an independent woman!!

(OOOOOOOh, the power just came back on . . . not bad, only out about an hour. And as far as I know, this is the first power outage since I've been here! PTL!!)

So I've had several requests for pictures of the palm protectors I made for the little guys at the hospital. So here you go (along with one of the front of the hospital):

The front of the hospital.

Palm protectors for tiny hands (the fat middle part fits in the palm; the straps are tied around the dorsum of the hand . . . they work okay, better than nothing, but for the little guys with really high tone, after about a day and a half they're pretty smushed . . . so I'm going to need to come up with a better model . . . although little resting hand splints would be ideal. I could have tried some out of plater of paris, but their hands are SO tiny that it would just been a really big mess).

Here they are on. It's hard to see them in his plams, but you get the idea.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb, do you have any towels to put in their palms? Or maybe take something hard (like wood?), put plaster on that and then wrap that in the cotton pad? And would you be able to take donated splint supplies if we could get some for you? Let me know when you are back in the states - I think you have my email. :) Keep your chin up - if you survived India, you can survive anywhere. :) Love ya, Shal

Deborah said...

Yeah, I'm going to bring back splinting materials. I've already had someone offer to donate some, and apparently the hospital gets lots of donations. I was told that there are catalogs to look through here so I can request certain things.

HA!! That's right . . . there's nowhere in the world quite like India! :)

Thanks for the encouragement.

Deborah said...

Yeah, I'm going to bring back splinting materials. I've already had someone offer to donate some, and apparently the hospital gets lots of donations. I was told that there are catalogs to look through here so I can request certain things.

HA!! That's right . . . there's nowhere in the world quite like India! :)

Thanks for the encouragement.