27 August 2008

Milk Powder Yogurt

(Debi Schellhase, this one's for you)

As you all read below, I've made myself some yogurt from milk powder. It's simple really (as long as your in a climate hot enough to do this).

1 part cool tap water
1 part hot water (boil then let it sit for a minute)
1 part (plus a little) milk powder
starter (available I'm told, in plenty, in Niamey)

While the hot water is boiling, combine a little bit of starter (whatever is leftover in the container from your last batch will suffice) with milk powder and tap water. Stir with a fork to remove lumps. Add hot water. Put lid on container, wrap in a towel or two to trap the heat, set on your counter overnight (or 6-8 hrs. in the hot season). Add a little sugar, vanilla extract, jam, dried fruit, or whatever when you serve.

It's a bit on the sour side at first (tastes like it was splashed with lemon juice), but I added a sprinkle of sugar, and some almond extract (as it was all that is in the flat where I'm staying). MMMM!!! It's so good, I've got some more steeping on the counter for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Thanks for the nod. : ) I definitely enjoyed reading it. And thanks also for the tip of bringing some vanilla extract with us too. I can't believe that someday, we'll be making our own yogurt and out of powdered milk. I looked at the powdered milk here, but only saw Carnation. I hear there is a better brand used at Galmi.

I 'commented' earlier on your mosquito story but it evidently didn't post. Just wanted to say there that I can see how God is already using you in Galmi and how happy I am that you are getting that privilege already. Take good care and stay under your net.

Deb said...

Thanks for the nod. : ) I definitely enjoyed reading it. And thanks also for the tip of bringing some vanilla extract with us too. I can't believe that someday, we'll be making our own yogurt and out of powdered milk. I looked at the powdered milk here, but only saw Carnation. I hear there is a better brand used at Galmi.

I 'commented' earlier on your mosquito story but it evidently didn't post. Just wanted to say there that I can see how God is already using you in Galmi and how happy I am that you are getting that privilege already. Take good care and stay under your net.