31 August 2008

It is NOT a Mumu! (Today's lesson: HUMILITY)

I didn't realize when I signed up for this gig, just how hard it would be for me to "dress African." It's really been a struggle. But today is Sunday. And that means church. And church is a very social event. So a western style skirt and top just wouldn't do for a prefield Missy. Nope. It wouldn't do. So Auntie Cindy decided to play dress-up with me. I still can't believe I went out in public like this.

She had me try another one when we got home. (The best part is that the skirt is a wrap around, and there's a real technique to securing it. It was an act of God that the village of Galmi didn't a free show this morning! I did have to "catch" it a few times . . . I'm going to need a lifetime supply of diaper pins!)
(I still can't believe I smiled for these pictures!)

14 comments:

Cindy said...

hee...hee...hee...
In a few years it will not even bother you!! :)

Beth said...

You look awesome...Auntie Cindy is very good at the Hausa style!

Robin said...

Deborah....what a kick....you definitely look like you belong there!!!! Oy Vey! xoxoxo mom

Lucky said...

About the dress, It is good to see you smiling. Just know that we are smiling with you (a lot). Judy said to say Hi. :0)

Lucky

Robin said...

Will you wear that when you come home? Will I recognize you? xoxox Mom

Deb said...

Oh wow. You do not know how much we enjoyed these pictures!!! I've been in NY with Heather and am behind the times in reading your blog. So, later today I'll have a good visit. This was a fun way to start the day though. :) Just yesterday, when Emily got off the school bus and I was there to meet her, she commented on me REALLY needing to get some new pants. They were black, waist high, with my shirt properly tucked in, fitting with the dress code here. : ) But as I look at what is to come, I guess I think that maybe this is just a preparation phase. Got to go and figure out what to wear. Much love to you!

Deb said...

PS: I met Sean - your friend (and Jen?, his wife) yesterday. It turns out that it is really a small world afterall. Look forward to getting to know them better.

jkaustin said...

you are adorable, deb. :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for your blog - I've enjoyed the pictures. It helps me picture where my sister is (she traveled w/ you on the plane, and shared your blog address w/ us).

Anonymous said...

Deb that is definately beautiful!! You should wear that on the plane when you come back to visit. Love ya! ~Hannah

Anonymous said...

Deb that is definately beautiful!! You should wear that on the plane when you come back to visit. Love ya! ~Hannah

Robin said...

Deborah....what a kick....you definitely look like you belong there!!!! Oy Vey! xoxoxo mom

Cindy said...

hee...hee...hee...
In a few years it will not even bother you!! :)

jkaustin said...

you are adorable, deb. :-)