19 August 2008

Getting Antsy

I'm sitting in Starbucks because my apartment is too hot, as I refuse to turn on the airconditioning . . . in part to live without it, and in part to save some money. But while sitting here sipping my overpriced iced coffee, I remembered some important online business I needed to attend to -- immediately! Okay, so it wasn't that urgent, but lately, despite writting things down (in more than one location) I seem to forget to take care of all the important stuff. But seeing as I'm getting on an airplane on Thursday and won't be back until the middle of September, my room for error is slim.

I don't know where I was going with that.

But this is a perfect example of how my mind has been working for the past few days. And it keeps getting WORSE!! My mind is already on the plane! (hey, when's the flight attendent going to come around with the beverage service??) I've already put the headphones on, leaned my seatback down, donned the complimentary socks and cover-for-your-eyes-so-that-you-think-it's-dark-in-here-even-if-it's-not . . . I've dozed off to sleep with the anticipation that the next time I see light I will be on my long layover in Casablanca.

[TURBULANCE]

Crud. I'm still in NewJersey. Still sitting in Starbucks.

I don't like this adult-version of anticipation. As a kid it was fun to suffer through that going-mad-excitement waiting for Christmas morning. Now, anticipation sucks. I've tried reading . . . but by the time my mind returns from the latest daydream, I realize that I've read the same line on the page about three dozen times. OY.

I have a prayer letter to write. But since my computer died last month I haven't had MSWord, except on Wednesdays. So much for using my "downtime" efficiently.

BUT IN TWO DAYS I'LL BE CHECKING IN AT JFK BOUND FOR NIGER!!! WOO HOO!! In the mean time, it's sit and wait. And try not to fidgit too much.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Loved chatting with you today. : )

We are so excited for you. Have a wonderful trip. We'll be checking in to see how things are.

I know it's money and all, but a little airconditioning tomorrow night might not be a bad treat before you head to the desert. Or just go and enjoy another iced coffee.

Take good care and we'll be watching for the updates. A big hug!

Deb said...

Loved chatting with you today. : )

We are so excited for you. Have a wonderful trip. We'll be checking in to see how things are.

I know it's money and all, but a little airconditioning tomorrow night might not be a bad treat before you head to the desert. Or just go and enjoy another iced coffee.

Take good care and we'll be watching for the updates. A big hug!